• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop "Reopen Closed PDFs" message.

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've followed all of the steps outlined in previous forums and it still continues. I'm using Adobe DC Pro. Thanks. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Hi there 

We are sorry to hear that.

If you do not wish to see the Blue popup which ask you to Restore your Previous session, you can do it as

1) Close Acrobat/Reader and then Open regedit.exe in Run command.

2) Navigate to the Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\ and create a key with name "FeatureState"

3) In FeatureState Create a new item with Type: "REG_DWORD" Name: "SessionRestorePromptAbnormalExit" and Value: 0

4) Relaunch Acrobat/Reader and observe that the Blue p

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

In my case, I didn't want to prevent this pop up for all users on the machine, so my fix was to edit the registry for  

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\SessionManagement

This key records the open tabs/files.  I set the permissions to deny for the user and system.  This is preventing Adobe from recording any history and therefore doesn't think anything is there to reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are sorry for the trouble. As described you want to disable 'Reopen closed PDF' messages

Please try the following preference settings: 

Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC (Mac) > General > Uncheck, 'Open PDFs from the last session on Acrobat Launch' > Click OK and check.

Also, make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20042 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

Screenshot (12).png

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done both of those. Not sure where to go from here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are sorry to hear that.

If you do not wish to see the Blue popup which ask you to Restore your Previous session, you can do it as

1) Close Acrobat/Reader and then Open regedit.exe in Run command.

2) Navigate to the Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\ and create a key with name "FeatureState"

3) In FeatureState Create a new item with Type: "REG_DWORD" Name: "SessionRestorePromptAbnormalExit" and Value: 0

4) Relaunch Acrobat/Reader and observe that the Blue popup won't be coming again for you.

For more information, you may refer to a similar discussion (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/asking-how-to-stop-the-quot-reopen-closed-pdfs-quot-message-f...)

Let me know if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this fixed it. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed all instructions and message still pops up every time I open new document. Even more frustrating is that closing documents opens Acrobat home on its own so I have to close every document tvice. And then next time I open a document message pops up and process repeats.

The set up is Adobe X pro for pdf editing, DC for pdf viewing and I use PTC teamcentre from where most of viewed pdfs come. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that

Adobe Acrobat X is an old and EOL application. End of Support means that Adobe no longer provides technical support or distributes runtimes. This policy affects product and security updates for all derivatives of a product or product version (localized versions, minor upgrades, operating systems, dot and double-dot releases, and connector products).

Adobe strongly recommends that customers update to the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat DC. By updating installations to the latest versions, customers benefit from the latest functional enhancements and improved security measures.

For more information please look at the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-of-support-acrobat-x-reader-x.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I didn't want to prevent this pop up for all users on the machine, so my fix was to edit the registry for  

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\SessionManagement

This key records the open tabs/files.  I set the permissions to deny for the user and system.  This is preventing Adobe from recording any history and therefore doesn't think anything is there to reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to suppress this popup as well. It's not in the Preferences anymore (well, at least, I can't find it) and I'm not excited about editing the registry. 

Is there an update to this problem in 2023?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unbelievable that this feature was ever added to Acrobat.
I do not need a feature to reopen a file when the application was "abnormally exited ".
Fix the application so it doesn't "Abnormally Exit", and make it realize the difference between an "Abnormal Exit", and a user closing the file while the application is still parsing the file. Acrobat does not recognize that I closed the file, because it is busy doing some other action, that I don't care about !
I open and close 100's of files daily. I don't want online colaboration, file parsing, or any other feature other than to open the file and allow me to view the results of the file generation application that I am using !
Open, view, and close should be the highest priority.

Please allow these other resource using features to be turned OFF.

Completely OFF !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines