Hyperlinks not working in PDFs exported from Indesign

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Indesign CS6, I've created hyperlinks in the Indesign documents and have selected to include hyperlinks in the print dialogue when exporting the PDF. However, in the PDF the hyperlink doesn't work. I know I can add the link directly from the PDF, but we end up frequently recreating the PDF and it's a hassle to recreate the links each time since there's about 10 different links we have to create on multiple pages. I've tried exporting interactive PDFs and Adobe PDF (Print) and neither works. I've tried creating the links two ways in Indesign: 1) selecting text > right clicking > selecting Interactive > selecting new hyperlink destination; 2) also tried creating the hyperlink by selecting a grouped box (text and frame) > selecting drop down Object menu > Interactive > Convert to Button > Event "On Click" "Go to URL" > Entered URL desitination > Entered value into Description. Using both methods in a PDF I created both Interactive and Print PDFs. Links did not work in either PDF.

TOPICS
Macintosh, Rich media and 3D

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Community Beginner , Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016
I've had trouble before with this until I started unchecking the "Shared Hyperlink Destination" every time I create a new link. Maybe that will help you.

translate

Translate

Translate
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"selected to include hyperlinks in the print dialogue when exporting the PDF." Printing and exporting are different things, and the difference is crucial to hyperlinks. Which are you actually doing?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this one works for me!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checking "include hyperlinks" when creating the pdf is what worked for me. Thank you!   Indesign 2021

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had trouble before with this until I started unchecking the "Shared Hyperlink Destination" every time I create a new link. Maybe that will help you.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. That worked for me.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work for me.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yessss, It worked for me too. Thanks a lot!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me. I'm going to try clearing the cache. What an irritating problem! I've never had this before today.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after an hour trying to solve the problem i cleared browser cache and it worked!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here in some cases. I discovered that a hyperlink needed to be unique. We use a kind a CMS system to generate book documents, and requires in the non-scripted book-part unique url's. You can create one by adding a hashtag or utm code, like www.adobe.com#, we discovered

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, the hyperlink just gets "hinky." I believe that is the technically correct term. And you just need to delete the whole hyperlink and start over. I figured this out after trying all of the suggestions offered here - and then some -with none of them working. I could have saved myself an hour+ of frustration if I had known this. Hope this helps someone else. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, thank you! This was the only thing that worked for me too. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone tell me if create unique documents in Indesign and export them as separate PDFs how to have the unique URL found on every page actually work? I use <<market_subdomain>>.acme.com so from my spreadsheet 300+ market subdomains are pulled in and I want the PDF to have working URLs that take them to the correct page. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would ask in the InDesign forum...

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines