• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks to pages, but inserted a page and now hyperlinks are off by one page. Help?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large main document with fourteen "attachments."  The main doc has approximately 1000 or more hyperlinks that go to different pages in the attachments.  Each of the attachments are 50 plus pages and could have about 100 or more hyperlinks in the main doc that directs the user to various pages within that attachment.  I inserted a page into the first few pages of one attachment - we will call it Attachment E - and now, every hyperlink in the main document that points to Attachment E is off by one page.  Attachment E has 210 pages (it used to have 209).  When someone clicks on a link, it takes the user to the page before the page they need to land on. I tried to manipulate the page numbering in the thumbnails thinking i could give the first of the 210 pages a letter assignment, but all that does is assign it in the header of the doc as "A (1 of 210) and the next page, which I would like to be page 1 for the purposes of hyperlinks is (2 of 210), so the user still goes to the wrong page.  Is there a way to change this so that the PDF files recognizes the second page of the doc as actually being page 1 for the hyperlink purposes and therefore will continue taking people to the correct page without me having to fix/edit a gazillion links?  I am at my wits end trying to figure this out and running out of time.  Thank you!     

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of links does you use? It will work when you use destinations for the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that Acrobat is setting this kind of links ("Go To Embedded File") in a way that points to a page number instead of a page object.

That means that if the page changes position the link will no longer point to it. The solution is to convert those links' actions to point to the page itself, but that can't be done in Acrobat, at least not with a script or manually (maybe with a plugin).

I can develop for you a stand-alone tool that will do it, for a fee. If you're interested you can contact me privately via [try6767 at gmail.com] to discuss it further.

Another possible solution is to edit all the links, adding 1 to the page number they point to, but that too will require either a plugin or a stand-alone tool, and it will only solve this one issue. If you make another change to the attached files the links will break once more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines