• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can no longer Create PDF using my Canon Scanner - Big Sur

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Acrobat DC Pro primarily to scan documents.  It worked until recently, Apple has updated my MACOS 2-3 times this year.  My Canon G7000 Series (ICA) connects via Secure Air Print, and I am on Big Sur 11.2.3.  Adobe says my Acrobat is up to date, and I have reinstalled the printer/scanner to refresh the AirPrint.

When I select SCAN, an Adobe Acrobat window pops-up showing Devices and Shared, 0 and 1 respspectively.  The window stays greyed out with no errors, and the buttons (Hide Detail, Overview, Scan buttons) cannot interact.  I have the MAC window controls.  When I close the window, I get an Adobe Scanning Canceled window with a link to troubleshooting tips.

The scanner performs fine using the native scanner function from System Preferences, but I need the controls Acrobat brings to the inital scan.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi OZ,

Quick question. When scanning, do your controls look somethink like this:

2021-03-17_10-31-09.png

or do they look more like what you see when you are scanning using the Canon's scanning software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, thanks for reaching out.  No Canon scanning software, AirPrint (see "Kind" first image)

Screenshot MACOS Scanner Control

OZisKTB_0-1616003283028.png

Adobe Controls (NOT)

OZisKTB_1-1616003369327.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oz,

So what you're saying is that you scan direclty with the AirPrint and NOT via Acrobat -> File (menu) Create -> PDF from Scanner...

Correct or not? 

If not, than you are not using Acrobat to do the scanning at all?

(Forgive me for belaboring this point, but Acorbat has no scanning capability whatsoever and on the Mac relies upon Apple's "Image Capture" to do the scanning (Apple stopped using TWAIN many many years ago to provide the link to scanning software, PCs still have access to TWAIN).

And, for the record, I have an Epson scanner and it does not have AirPrint so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. However, I'll see if I can provide any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am saying that 30-60 days ago I scanned using "Acrobat -> File (menu) Create -> PDF from Scanner...", the AirPrint scanning worked then too, but I used Acrobat.

Recently, "Acrobat -> File (menu) Create -> PDF from Scanner..." stopped working, but the AirPrint scanning continues to work.  So, my MAC is connected to the scanner, but Acrobat is no longer handshaking (or similar) with the MACOS "Image Capture" service. No error, just a grey, dead window.

Clarity is important, so belaboring is positive and I'm happy to elaborate further.

Does that clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does and I'm sorry for having you explain and re-explain. Part of my issue was what I know to happen versus what people's expectations of what happens.

I can verify your issue, while testing just now I also cannot scan from within Acrobat. I had not noticed this before because I NEVER scan from Acrobat, I always scan either with the Epson scanning software or, more usually, my SilverFast scanning software. 

To be honest, I think you'll be much better off to scan with your AirPrint software or whatever else you can so with your Canon than scanning from within Acrobat as it's using Image Capture. I did mention that before but what I didn't mention before was that it's the worst scanning software I've ever encountered, and I've used quite a few.

I will check on what's going on with Acrobat's "PDF from Scanner" issue and see if I can dig up any bones with it. Meanwhile I do suggest you ignore that option for now. THANK you for pointing out the issue though.

Here's something that you might find of assistance, it's a blog entry I wrote for Adobe sometime back.

http://photosbycoyne.com/Gary's_Help/Scanning/clean-scanning.html

Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the very insightful article, great for archivist, but I scan exclusively using the feeder.

The ONLY reason I use Acrobat is that I can set it to do some of what you discuss in the article for a stack of pages.

OZisKTB_0-1616007780579.png

To me the Apple PDF conversion engine is inferior, and as far as I know has none of these features. Fixing a bad PDF takes more time and produces an inferior product when compared to Acrobat doing it correctly the first time.

I can find good enough second tier PDF apps to fix the terrible Apple PDFs, it's the doing it right first time that Acrobat offers.  If it no longer does, I don't need Adobe.

Hoping someone else will chime in, thanks for the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you save your images in the TIF format, you can take a stack of images (numbered of course) and Acrobat will automatically combine them into one document and OCR them.

Pice of trivia: Actually this is a recent discovery as I had always saved images in the TIF format and when doing a test discovered that while Acrobat can convert a number of jpgs and pngs image into a single PDF, it will not automatically do the OCR, that would require an extra step. Perhaps this might help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines