• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Alt Text into pdf?

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to import image alt text from an Excel or text file into a pdf file? My searches have come up empty.  

An example typical document would be a tagged pdf of  about 150 pages with about 15 figures. The figures are usually an entire page inserted into the pdf, but may also be inline with text. I am trying to get the creators to insert the alt text in the source programs (Word, InDesign, GIS, CAD) and include it in the pdf export, but it's like herding cats and not all the source files are available to us (client provided from their subcontractors). Regardless, I have hundreds of files to add alt text to in the meantime.

If you don't know the answer but have some pointers, that would be appreciated too.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Not for Acrobat. Sure wish someone would develop this!

But I do have 2 plug-ins for InDesign: see http://accessibilityscripts.com/product-category/indesign/

These scripts are excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Crockett

We are sorry for the trouble. As described you want to import the alternative text from Excel or Word file into a PDF file.

Once you have added the Alt text to the source file (Word or Excel) please try to create the PDF from the Acrobat ribbon present in the toolbar at the top.

Untitled.png

Click on Preferences > Security  > Under permissions, set the permission password and select the option 'Enable text access for screen reader devices' > Click Ok and then Create the PDF

Untitled.png

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying, but this did not answer the question.

I do not have access to any of the source files. The pdf files are provided to me.

I am trying to work with people within my company so they can include alt text prior to giving me the files, but a large number of documents come from client subcontractors and the source files will never be made available to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for Acrobat. Sure wish someone would develop this!

But I do have 2 plug-ins for InDesign: see http://accessibilityscripts.com/product-category/indesign/

These scripts are excellent!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be the case, but was hoping for better news. My company won't buy scripts or support training for me, but I've purchased scripts out-of-pocket and invest time in learning new skills outside of work hours.

Thank you for posting that resource! I've not seen it before and especially like that there is a trial version. I can test it in InDesign and maybe get a bigger-budget group to pay for it based on time/cost savings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reference. Yes, the scripts I developed allow for this. First script, Extractor creates the excel file with the file name in the first column and any pre-existing alt-text in the second. You send the xls to your contributor. They fill it in. You import the alt-text using the Automator and it populates in about 3 seconds. I was in the exact same spot you were in and thought that this should somehow be possible. So I figured it out and made it happen. Let me know if you have questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines