• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Acrobat DC when I click add signature the whole window turns grey

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on Add Signature, the whole screen goes grey. You have to hit esc to get it to go back. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. 

Acrobat DC version 20.0

Mac OS Mojave Version 10.14.5

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , PDF forms , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

I managed to find a solution.

I had exactly the same symptoms.

I tried to uninstall my antivirus and magicallys everything was working again. (popups, add signature, save to cloud...)

In my case I think it was F-SECURE which was blocking something in the background.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

I resolved this issue for one of my customers...  In short, a particular older .plist file needs to be removed.  The Acrobat installer would error when trying to convert this older file to .plist format.

DESCRIPTION OF ERROR

I found the following errors in the Acrobat installer log:

2023-12-04 17:53:36-06 Summus07 package_script_service[872]: ./postinstall: Error in converting the plist /Library/Preferences/com.adobe.PDFAdminSettings.plist to xml1 format
2023-12-04 17:53:36-06 Summus07 package_scr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue and we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you provide some more details : 

1. Complete version of Acrobat. Go to Acrobat pro DC > About Acrobat Pro DC. Share the complete version number.

2. To ensure that you are on the latest version, try Help > Check for updates.

3. Are you able to access the Save As Dialog. Open a PDF > Go to File > Save As.

As a quick workaround you can login to https://documentcloud.adobe.com/ and go to Fill and Sign and create new Signature/Initial. Once done, come back to Acrobat and launch Fill and Sign app on a PDF and wait for some time. The newly created signature/initial should get synced to your application.

Please provide the above information so that we can debug this issue. Let me know in case of any queries.

Regards,

Sandeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2020.013.20064

Yes, I can access the Save As. Dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try signing out and then again signing in to Acrobat? Also are you able to access the options present under the Next button in Fill and sign?

-sandeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader 2020.012.20048. I click "Add signature" and the whole screen turns 50% opaqueness gray as if an interstitial pop up is supposed to appear, but none does. This is on Mac OSX 10.15.7

I tried the workaround, but the signature page on https://documentcloud.adobe.com/ won't allow me to upload a jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened a PDF file that has been sent to me for my signature.

I click on Fill & Sign, scroll down to the correct page, click on 'Sign' and then click on 'Add New Signature' - and the screen goes dark.

I can't go back, I can't close Acrobat and I end up having to Force Quit.

It is the same result on any PDF that I open.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peterm

We are sorry for the trouble. As described you are unable to add the signature to the PDF file as the screen goes dark.

Would you mind sharing the screen recording or a screeshot of the issue for a better understanding?

Have you got the PDF file via Adobe Sign? If yes, please try to clear the cache of the web browser and try again. Also, you may try with a different web browser and check.

If you have got the PDF as an email attachment, try to download the PDF to your computer locally and then try to sign the PDF using fill and sign tool . Also, make sure you have the latest version 20.12.20048 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work, please try to repair the installation (Windows Only) and reboot the application and check. Go to Help > Repair Installation.

If it still doesn't work, please try  to turn off the protected mode for testing (Windows Only). Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup' Turn off the protected mode and uncheck enhanced security > Click OK and reboot the computer.
Note: Turning off the ptotected mod may possess security risks, please turn on the security after testing.

If it still doesn't work, please try to reset the preferences to default as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem exactly. The recommendation to remove preferences and restart the application does not work. None of the recommended remedies works. To reproduce on Catalina or Big Sur, open Acrobat Pro DC, create a fresh document. Select the signature tool. Select Add Signature. The entire document goes dark grey, and you can't do anything with the document. There is no option presented to add a signature or initial at that point. There is only one way out, which is to select Esc on your keyboard. Please offer a solution, or log this as a bug in engineering and notify me when there is a new version that fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jjosell

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Mac OS and Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 20.13.20064 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

Are you on personal or work computer?

Please try to switch to different network available (Wifi, Mobile, hotspot) and  reboot the comouter once and check if that helps.

If it still doesn't work, please try to create a new test user profile on your computer or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application and check.

If you are using the Mac OS Big Sur, please check the compatibility here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/mac-os11-big-sur-compatibility.html

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal

I have experienced the problems starting with Catalina and now Big Sur.  I am always up to date on my Adobe products. Acrobat I'm on 2020.013.20064. This is my personal computer. It happens whenever Adobe has a pop-up window. When the signature drop down opens, if you try to add initials, it will give you the grey screen and hitting escape is the only way to get out of it. Same with sending the doc in email. I have to save the doc to do that and add manually to an email outside of Adobe. Nothing else has worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As a quick workaround you can login to https://documentcloud.adobe.com/ and go to Fill and Sign and create new Signature/Initial. Once done, come back to Acrobat and launch Fill and Sign app on a PDF and wait for some time. The newly created signature/initial should get synced to your application.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Big Sur version 11.1

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2020.013.20074

I also have the problem with the signature window, plus I have had continuing issues with other drop-downs showing as blank boxes, specifically "share a link to this file" and "share this file with others" 

image.jpeg

 I don't use the signature function that often so I'm not sure if that is just an issue with the latest software update, but the share function has been a problem for the last couple years. I have not had the same problems with it on my work computer, which is using macOS Catalina v. 10.15.7, and the most current version of Acrobat Pro DC (same as above). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat but it made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sophia,

We are sorry to keep you waiting. Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described in the help page: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792... and see if that helps.

I it still doesn't work  please create a new test user profile or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe crashes 90% of the time I try to save a doc with a signature.  Had Acrobat for decades, never had this problem. Now new mac, new ADC software, Tried a total reinstall, same issue. Anyone have a fix? Its driving me bananas. Tried all the various fixes in all the threads, nothing worked.  IS there a live human being who can help. This software is expensive and should work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Nothing is helping.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on my experience, it may be an issue with loading the new signature module.  Go to Preferences --> Signatures --> Creation & Appearance (click on [More...]) --> Uncheck the box for "[] Use modern user interface for signing and Digital ID configuration"

Please let me know if this helps you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this as well, and unchecking "Use moden user interface for signing and Digital ID configuration" did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also uninstalling / reinstalling does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More observation:  Clicking "Tools" does not bring up the proper page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and this worked! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 14.01.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get the Enable CyrptoTokenKit framework support option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to uncheck the box, made no difference, Adobe still crashes almost every time I try to sign something. Clearly Adobe does not really care about its customers, as I have written to them multiple times and no answer. Amazing, must be nice to sell products and then just ignore your customers and offer no support.   Brave new world. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please try to update the application to the new version 21.07.20091 now available. Go to Help > Ceck for updates and reboot the computer once and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

I have the same issue - only started a few days ago. No idea why as haven't changed anything to my knowledge. I'm running a new Win 10 laptop with new download of Reader DC. Everything is newly installed.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎19/‎04/‎2021
OS build 19043.1237
Serial number 005388405153
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Tried "repairing" installation.

Tried rebooting, uninstalling, etc

Tried unchecking the "use modern interface...."

All to no avail. 

I'm stuffed if I can't sign docs.

The screen goes dark, as though there is a pop-up box but nothing appears. 

No buttons are working so I have to kill it via the task manager.

HELP, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pajkbsf

We are sorry to hear that, Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 21.07.20095 (Win), go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

- Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDF? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer first and then try again.

- What is the workflow/steps you are doing to sign the PDF file? A small video recording of the same would be very helpful.

You may also try to sign the PDF file via Document Cloud https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/ and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines