Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Form and Acrobat

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I created a form with InDesign and I added features, options, settings, scripts ... in Acrobat. Now I am asked to modify my InDesign layout...

Is there a way to keep the work I have done in Acrobat? Except copy / paste the different form elements to the new PDF that I will have to export with the layout modifications ?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Working on InDesign forms in Acrobat has always been hit and miss for me. You can try to create your new PDF form, then open up the one that you've already modified and then replace all the pages in this one with the pages from the updated PDF form. This will just replace the "background" of the form, and leave the form fields where they are. If this does work correctly, you can then just move the form fields to where they need to be in case there were chagnes to the layout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on InDesign forms in Acrobat has always been hit and miss for me. You can try to create your new PDF form, then open up the one that you've already modified and then replace all the pages in this one with the pages from the updated PDF form. This will just replace the "background" of the form, and leave the form fields where they are. If this does work correctly, you can then just move the form fields to where they need to be in case there were chagnes to the layout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconding Karl's suggestion. It's a workable work around.

Also look at this InDesign plug-in that gives better form controls within InDesign, including adding scripts and calculations.

https://www.id-extras.com/products/formmagic/

This plug-in is developed by Ariel, a fellow ACP in this forum.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bevi,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will dig into it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl,

Many thanks for your answer. Unfortunate my form elements have been create in ID first (to take advantage of the sample form), and then modified in Acrobat. In the past I was used to work with LiveCycle. This is first time that I work in this ways and probably the last. You must learn for your mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend doing the layout work in ID and the form fields work in Acrobat. If you create fields in ID you will have problems editing them in Acrobat, which is often needed since the latter is more capable than the former when it comes to fields, scripts, etc.

You can always use the Replace Pages command (in Acrobat) to insert a new layout over an old one, which will keep all of your fields in tact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the smart recommendations, which I will follow in the future without any doubts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines