Highlighted

Insert a text field into exising form

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an ordered list in word, and converted to PDF. Then after a lot of form building in pdf, I discovered that I had let out an item. How can I insert the item in its proper place in the form?

Topics

PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Insert a text field into exising form

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an ordered list in word, and converted to PDF. Then after a lot of form building in pdf, I discovered that I had let out an item. How can I insert the item in its proper place in the form?

Topics

PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be a little more specific.

Are you saying that you created dropdown menus or listboxes that were previously populated with a list of items and now you need to add just one additional item to that list?

OR, 

Are you asking about adding an aditional text field object that is used in calculations with other objects in that form? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I crated a list in Word:

A

B

D

E

Then I saved it as PDF

Then I opened it in Acrobat and

Clicked Tools > Prepare form and did a lot of stuff to the form

Then placed check boxes in front of each item: A, B, C … OOPS! There was no C, I had accidently left that list item out.

So, I want to insert list item C into the form.

The list was created in WORD. They were not dropdown menus or listboxes, Just a list of choices that the form filler would choose from.

I tried Fill and Sign, as advised. That overlays the list, instead of inserting.

I’m new to Acrobat, so not real familiar with the terminology.

Thanks.

Roy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't edit a PDF using Fill & Sign. Seems like you're n trying to work around with this in Adobe Reader DC (free PDF viewing version),  not Acrobat Pro DC (full PDF editor- paid-for subscription).  Can you confirm which PDF program are you using?

From the way you describe your issue, it seems like you're referring about modifying static content in the PDF not the field objects. 

If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro , you can modify static content using the "Edit PDF" tool, or right-click with your mouse in any area of the document and select "Edit Text & Images:" from the context menu.

If you're referrinf to field objects, such as text fields, dropdown, mens, listboxes, etc., then use the "Prepare Form" tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.

1. Not Fill and Sign.

Yes, am using Acrobat Pro DC. Paid for subscription.

I think I am trying to edit static content, though am nor familiar with the term. The text that I want to edit (i.e. insert more text) is imported from WSWord by saving the word file as a PDF.

I clicked on Tools, then The Edit PF icon. In the following screen, I clicked on the Edit PDF icon on the right hand menu. Next I want to use these tools to insert new line between two existing lines. I have not found a way to do that from this point. I tried right clicking on a spot in the text. The brings a drop-down list = Paste or   Select all    or Make text vertical. 

Paste creates a blue box over the top of the existing test.

My research on the web indicates that a “context menu” is what come up when right-clicks. OR it might be the string of icons just above the page in the line that starts Edit PDF.  

The intent remains: To insert a line of text between two lines of existing text, i.e. move the lower of the two existing lines down and place (insert, e.g. paste) the new line where that lower line was. It seems this would be two operations (as it is in Word). That is to first move and existing line down – actually all the document below would be moved down a line.  

Thanks.

Roy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That is to first move and existing line down – actually all the document below would be moved down a line. 

PDF files don't work like that. If you're lucky enough that the two lines appear in the same "text box" then you can add an empty line between them by pressing Enter and then typing the new text. However, it will NOT push anything else down the page, and certainly not on other pages.

The real solution is to go back to the Word file, edit it there and then create a new PDF from it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF