Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert editable picture into PDF form?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I am creating editable marketing flyers for a client.  I'm opening my PDF (originally created in Illustrator) in Acrobat and adding editable form feilds for the end user to add their contact information to each piece.  The enduser also wants to add a photo with their contact info.  Is there a way to create this as part of the form?  Ultimately, I'm wanting them to be able to insert a picture into a specified area and not have to resize the photo.  Is this possible in Acrobat professional?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  I'm working in CS3 and Acrobat 8, on a mac.

Cheers,

Lilly

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

You can create a button and add a script to it that would prompt the user

to select an image file when that button is clicked. Then that image can be

displayed using the same button (buttons can show either an image or text).

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I am coming late to this party, but I was able to get the java-script to work, limited to PDF files, but my question is how do I get the image out of the form? I am getting photos that will need to be used separately at a later time. I thought this might be an easier option than having the person attach the photo separately to the email response with the PDF Form, but if I cannot extract the added file from the form, this feature is useless for my purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no easy way to extract the image. If you want to do it then have

the users attach the image as a file (using the Attach File commenting

tool), instead of embedding it in the field.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM, dianer66027897 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As try67 mentioned, a file attachment is the way to go for the type of thing you're doing. For Reader 11 and DC users, you can set up a button with JavaScript so the user is prompted to select a file. Otherwise the user has to know how to use the "Attach File" commenting tool to manually attach a comment.

In case others are interested, what I use to extract the button icon is Adobe's old FDF Toolkit. It has a way to convert a button icon to a PDF and you can then use Acrobat to extract any images from the resulting PDF. Note that a button icon can include much more than a single image (multiple images, text objects, vector graphics).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have read this entire discussion and I am left wondering: I have a section in a form that I allow my users to insert a diagram or chart. But often, they need to add several pages of images and I'd like them all to be in that section. Currently I have one image field the size of the page but it only allows one image. I saw you mentioned that the imagefield button can allow multiple images. How do I do this? And to add, is there a way for the user to import an image in LiveCycle with the image button and then adjust the sizing to their needs vs my guessing as the designer? I really appreciate any help regarding this!!

Take care!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this option too. I did all you have suggested and it works on my computer but when I open the pdf in another computer the add image button does not work. The text fields work but not where I have added the javascript box. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you using to open the file on the other computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I want my clients to open it on whatever they use. But I'm guess I'll recommend they use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thanks. I read the whole thread. If the form is opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC a pdf image can be inserted into the form field using the techinques on the forum (adding a java script). However, the end user has to convert their jgp picst into pdfs first... a nusance if you ask me. It would be simple if Adobe just allowed different image types as a drop down. Oh well....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe probably see this as an incentive. If you want a more convenient route, you can buy Acrobat for everyone. Which is their aim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can somebody help me figure out how I could add an image field in a PDF form using Adobe DC that would prompt the user to open and place JPEG logo when clicked. I don’t know anything about Javascripting and this is my second time using DC.  I’m able to add text boxes and try to put in either this suggestions found on similar threads

function INSERT LOGO()

{

// Get a reference to the button we want to populate

var f = getField(“IMAGE_BUTTON”);

// Prompt the user to import an image

f.buttonImportIcon();

}

OR just this based on this thread

event.target.buttonImportIcon();

in the run a script box but nothing is working. Am I missing something? Any Suggestions?

Thank you much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that Acrobat Reader (once you have this working) can only import PDF, not any other graphic format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, your script

(1) has clear errors

(2) isn't obviously calling the routine you define

Please check the console for error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is well using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, but it seems that the button is clickable, but will not prompt to insert a file in AA Reader 9.5.5 ...

Will this only work in AA Reader DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work in Reader 11 also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do the same thing described here. My image field is currently formatted with the java code, but I don't think uploading the photo as a pdf will work for my audience. Is there another development program that would allow users to upload any type of image in the field with any version of Reader? Adobe LiveCycle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An XFA form created with LiveCycle Designer can include image fields which support the following four image types: JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am familiar with older versions of Acrobat but relatively new to Acrobat DC Pro. Its a bit like trying to find an item in a Walmart store seems the developers have literally moved everything around but I am slowly finding my way.

My skill level with DC Pro is still weak but I am able to create forms that a user can enter into using Acrobat Reader. My current form follows the theme of this thread. I need to have an option for an image to be inserted. I seem to have nailed down how to create the button and it performs as expected but only permits for another pdf image to be inserted. Kinda silly but rehashing that is moot. From what I have researched regardless of javascript the Adobe Reader will still only permit another pdf to be inserted when created in Acrobat Pro DC. As an inexpensive workaround I have tried to convert an image to a pdf the results were grainy and totally unacceptable.

I have read the entire thread and was looking for clarification. I have a limited budget and it seems livecycle is no longer a part of this version of Acrobat Pro. Lets hear it for capitalism! (groan) What program would be recommended to allow the creation of a button for a user to insert an image using the Acrobat Reader. Does one exist? I do not want to waste funds on something that isn't going to work.

Thanks for your input!

Update -

After more research my requirements are to invest in an updated version of LiveCycle. Quite frankly there should have been some sort of warning information when upgrading from the pro version of Adobe Acrobat 9 to Acrobat DC I would functionally lose my older version of LiveCycle. Either/or my boat is grounded until funds become available to repurchase.

Happy designing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the Walmart analogy… IMHO, it is even worse, because they rearrange the store while you are in there and search…

Anyway, if your users are kind of controllable, you might look at the GIMP (open source image processing software) for the convesion, and give your users good instructions, or see how far you could actually script the software.

I fully agree with you that Adobe should open up the format converters in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to add a button, as opposed to a text box or any other field type, and it has to be configured with a layout other than "Label only". I usually use "Icon only". The last line of code that you mentioned is intended to be placed as the Mouse Up script for the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat DC:

• Open up the Prepare Form via Tools > Prepare Form
  • Using the 'Add a button' tool (the symbol that has "ok" in it that states Add a "Print" or "Clear" or other type of button) draw a button to the size the image field needs to be
  • Double click the button to enter into the button's properties
  • Go to the Actions tab
  • Next to Select Action choose 'Run a JavaScript'
  • Click Add
  • Copy & Paste the following JavaScript in the window: event.target.buttonImportIcon();
  • OK
  • Go to the Options tab
  • Under Layout choose 'Icon Only'
  • Investigate any other options you need then..
  • Close

Test using the Selection Tool (black arrow tool). Note that when browsing for the image you are not restructed to PDF's as you can change the file type in the lower right to say JPEG or PNG etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly! Maybe I missed something in this whole thread, but is there a way to force a photo to size to the box/button I created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the button field's Properties, Options tab and click the Advanced button. You'll be able to set there if and how the image is scaled to fit the field. It will look like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That worked! This has been a very helpful thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh no... I got a head of myself. I'm able to add a jpeg in Acrobat but still not in Reader... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to change file type when opening a file only seems to be available in Acrobat. Not in Reader. Please explain how you got around this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines