• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF - Buttons overlap and need manual show/hide of layer in Adobe Reader

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exported interactive PDf from InDesign. When one button is clicked, it opens a pop-up box atop, with set of buttons, out of which one is selected and then put in place of button clicked. Simple stuff!

Now problem is when opening that PDF in Adobe Reader, picture from bottom of page (main button) and those from the pop-up box (on top) start to overlap; check attached pictures. In other words, Adobe Reader forgets to differentiate between layers and one has to manually go and show/hide layers, which is something my client do not want.

It works just fine when exported as EPUB and viewed in EPUB Reader. There pop-up box covers the bottom buttons perfectly and it looks clean. But since requirement is to have Interactive PDF, it is very important for me to get this problem of over-lapping-layers/buttons fixed.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I see this is slightly different to your other question and in both instances a sample document would be helpful so that we can investigate the problem.

[https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/do-not-print-certain-pages-of-a-spread-in-adobe-reader/m-p/11...

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check attached files, both indesign and pdf.

When viewing it as EPUB (either in InDesign preview or EPUB Reader) Layers do not overlap and work just fine. But not in Adobe Reader.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an InDesign document, by nature all the elements are attached to a layer, so the form fields too (buttons or other).

In a PDF document form fields are not attached to a layer and overlap on top of all other elements, including layers.

So you have to review the design and the features of your document according to this imperative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Due to the complexity of what you are trying to do, it would probaly be better to create the functional bit inside Acrobat, as this would enable you to use JavaScript which would give you far more control over when the buttons would be shown, it would also enable you to remove the extra pages from the document.

With the document made as it stands the only option that you really have would be to add the show/hide to ever button so that it showed the buttons you want to show/hide. as mentioned above Form fields don't really work well with layers.

Let me know if you want more information about how to move the functionality to Acrobat JavaScript.

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ! I am writing my client to buy Acrobat for me (as adding JS code is only possible there) and then I will write you again.

Thanks for your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use Acrobat Pro DC or Acrobat Pro 2020 (perpetuel licence).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines