• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create a button which will jump ahead 2 pages?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu functions in the Action tab only have "go to next page" but I need the button to "go ahead two pages" aka skip the next page.  This button will be present on maybe 120 pages of a 500 page document.  Using "go to a page view" means I can't duplicate the button on the pages that need it and have them go to the correct page, which turns this into a very labor-intensive prospect.

Basically, on the verso pages are annotations, and on the recto pages are checklist steps.  Sometimes a checklist continues to the next page, which is fine when utilizing as an actual paper checklist in booklet format printed on paper, because the user simply turns one page, but when trying to optimize for an electronic (mobile) viewing and interacting experience, the user will either need to swipe twice to get to the next page with checklist steps, or (ideally) click a button that will take them right there.

Maybe there are some javascript functions which can be leveraged?

The only tool I have available to me is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  It is not possible to load other software products on my work computer, and it's not possible to do the work on a non-work computer.

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Create a button, set the mouse up action to "Execute JavaScript" then add this line to the code option when it pops up.

this.pageNum = this.pageNum + 2;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a button, set the mouse up action to "Execute JavaScript" then add this line to the code option when it pops up.

this.pageNum = this.pageNum + 2;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!  I'll see if this will work when I'm back at work on Tues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel, this worked like a champ, thanks!

I have a follow-up question: when interacting with the PDF in Adobe Reader on a mobile device, my "Back" button, which is set to the action Menu Item->Previous View, does not work.  From research, I have determined this is because Adobe Reader (mobile version) doesn't have this menu function to execute. 

Is there a JavaScript code which can serve to follow breadcrumbs back in the reverse order from which the user clicked through the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. And there's not enough JavaScript capabilities in the mobile viewer to mimic that functionality either. If you need full PDF functionality on a tablet device, get a Microsoft Surace Pro 4. I love Apple but after working with my Surface, I'll never buy another iPad again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, appreciate the response.  Unfortunately, there are other reasons why an iPad mini is the only tablet that will meet user needs, currently.  Mostly related to certain required apps not being available on other mobile OS'.  Form-factor constraints limit to a comparable mini-size form factor.

Unfortunate that the mobile version of Adobe Reader is not more responsive.  If not for this single limfac, Adobe Reader would meet all our users' needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but a second pop up appears asking about a line number?

I am trying to modify this answer to suit my needs. I would like to add a "view" button lets you click and go directly to the specified page.

Then I also want to build a button that you can lick to return to the first page...

Could you please help with this?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you add a "Run a JavaScript" command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines