• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to disable tooltips in forms?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to disable tooltips in forms?  The prepopulated ones do not add value in my forms and I'd rather not have to delete each one individually.  Thanks!!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

There are no pre-populated tooltips when you add a form field, unless you use the fields detection wizard.

Either way, You can remove all of them at once by running this code:

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {

var f = this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));

if (f==null) continue;

f.userName = "";

}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no pre-populated tooltips when you add a form field, unless you use the fields detection wizard.

Either way, You can remove all of them at once by running this code:

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {

var f = this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));

if (f==null) continue;

f.userName = "";

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!  We are using the detection wizard for better alignment.  I'll try this script and see if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much 🙂 it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using Acrobat Pro DC and need to remove the tooltips. I went to Document Javascripts, added a function and pasted in the code that you provided. For some reason, the tooltips are still there. 

Any ideas?

thanks,

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the script from the JS Console, or from a button field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I typed CTRL+J to open the JavaScript Debugger, pasted the script code in, typed CTRL+Enter and got this error:

SyntaxError: syntax error
1:Console:Exec
undefined

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Try67,

Well, even though I got an error, the tooltips are cleared so I think I'm good. But I am curious why it worked after getting an error. I also tried this in the console: RemoveTooltips(); and the response was "undefined".

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Anyway, "undefined" is not an error... The opposite, actually. It means the code executed correctly, without a return value. Where did you get RemoveTooltips() from, exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! So it did run correctly. For RemoveTooltips(), I went to Document JavaScripts and added a script with that name that runs your code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, How can I remove tooltip form radio button?
I don't want to show tooltip when mouse over the button.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Prepare Form mode, right-click the field, select Properties, and under the General tab clear the Tooltip field:

try67_0-1654796933302.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please know that when tooltips are removed (using any method suggested below), you are eliminating a critical way for those with vision disabilities (blindness and low-vision) to know what to type inside the form field. Tooltips are required for accessibility.

I'd love to see someone develop a better way to hide the tooltips, rather than remove them entirely. This would allow the end user to hide them if they are sighted and don't need the tooltips, while keeping the tooltips in the form for another user who is blind.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should be possible to add a check-box to the first page of a field, enabling tooltips for all fields when ticked and disabling them when unticked, using a custom-made script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines