Is there a way to merge two PDF files?

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Scansnap scanner that converts any image into a pdf file format. I would like to add more scanned pages to an existing pdf file, but Scansnap would create a second pdf file. Is it possible to merge two separate pdf files into one document? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021
Adobe Acrobat (not the free Reader) allows you to combine PDF files. There are several ways to do that: - Create a new PDF file by combining existing PDF files - Insert a PDF files into an existing PDF file using the page navigaion pane - Drag and drop a existing PDF file into the page navigation pane.  - Create a script that merges PDF files There are probably other methods as well, but these are the ones I use on a regular basis. 

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat (not the free Reader) allows you to combine PDF files. There are several ways to do that:

- Create a new PDF file by combining existing PDF files

- Insert a PDF files into an existing PDF file using the page navigaion pane

- Drag and drop a existing PDF file into the page navigation pane. 

- Create a script that merges PDF files

There are probably other methods as well, but these are the ones I use on a regular basis. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the latest pro version, but when I try to create a single pdf from multiple pdf's, it creates a portfolio, which I don't want.

I'm not clear on the steps you provided in your reply. If you could give screenshots it would really help me. Thanks in advance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "File>Create>Combine Files into a Single PDF". You will then see an "Options" button in the toolbar. Click on that and uncheck "Save as PDF Portfolio". This should then create a "normal" PDF file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you....I needed to select the correct options as well as saving the XML's as PDF's.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried to combine pdf's again, and got the message " acrobat cannot combine XML files". Is there a way to convert back to normal pdf files so I can create a binder instead of a portfolio?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the files you are trying to combine are acutally PDF files? The message indicates that what you have is not a PDF file. I don't know what you've done with the file since you scanned it, so I don't know how you would convert it to PDF. What I outlined will work with normal PDF files. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

Are you sure that the files you are trying to combine are acutally PDF files? 

In case someone else is reading this, the files don't have to be PDFs to use Combine Files. They can be images or Microsoft Office files (if you have Office installed.)

I've never tried to use an .xml file in Combine, but if the message says, "Acrobat cannot combine XML files", I would believe it. 😊

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following worked: I opened the XML files in Acrobat, then saved each as a PDF file. After I did that, I was able to combine the files into a Binder, not a Portfolio.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can scan documents with Adobe Acrobat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines