Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Language setting with layer vs. templates

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I have created a form and would like to have it in multiple, switchable languages. I wanted to use a layer for each language. This works quite well for a static document. However, I have templates in the background that can be rezzed as needed. Even multiple times.
I can't manage to switch the layers here. The last layer is always active.
Even if I switch the layers manually, only the first page changes.
Can anyone help me solve this problem?
Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Creating a multipage layered PDF is not easy with Acrobat, you should use InDesign or Illustrator.

You cannot spawn a layered page without it being flattened.

I had this problem before, which I solved by using form fields (read-only) for all texts that were language dependent.

All items in each language used being in a CSV file attached to the PDF and loaded when the user selects another language.

try67 is the one who wrote the script for me.

It works wonderfully, but it forces you to r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use different template pages for the different languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for fast response.

So if I have for example 3 different template types in my document and three different languages, I must create in sum 9 templates to get echt template type for each language. Each of this templates with all form fields...ouch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need re-create all form fileds. You can use replace pages for different languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each layer only exists on a single page. So you need to create a separate layer for each page of each language.

I've actually developed a script that will do it automatically for you (create the layers, add a drop-down menu for switching between them, etc.), assuming the number of pages in each version is the same. If you're interested in purchasing it feel free to contact me privately via [try6767 at gmail.com] to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a multipage layered PDF is not easy with Acrobat, you should use InDesign or Illustrator.

You cannot spawn a layered page without it being flattened.

I had this problem before, which I solved by using form fields (read-only) for all texts that were language dependent.

All items in each language used being in a CSV file attached to the PDF and loaded when the user selects another language.

try67 is the one who wrote the script for me.

It works wonderfully, but it forces you to rethink part of how this document works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have already used a similar solution. Here, all texts on all pages are in text fields. The language is switched in the respective text field as a script. The texts of the languages are also stored in the scripts.
However, this makes my form very slow.

Apparently, all scripts in the templates are executed with calculate.now(). Is it possible to prevent this, so that only rezzed pages are calculated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines