• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest upgrade of Acrobat Pro makes Internet Explorer crash

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the November 2020 upgrade of , 2020.013.20064, all our customers get crashes in Internet Explorer when opening created reports PDF:s with the Acrobat Add-on. If only Acrobat Reader is installed there is no problem. The only way to get rid of the problem is to uninstall Acrobat Pro or disable the Acrobat Add-on,

This is the error in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.19041.1, time stamp: 0x95286d96
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.610, time stamp: 0xd49544eb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003e935
Faulting process id: 0x28e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6b8bf31e88952
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 7665baa1-dbe1-4c3d-a961-b90bda435aa0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to clarify that the crash does not occurr everytime opening a created PDF but often after doing it 4-10 times in the same Internet Explorer session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described Internet Explorer crashes when opening created reports PDF:s with the Acrobat Add-on. If only Acrobat Reader is installed there is no problem.

Would you mind sharing the workflow/steps you are doing to open the PDF in IE? Is it crashing on opening the very first PDF or is it crashing after that? Are you closing the first opened PDF and then opening another one and experincing crash? If yes, please try to keep the first PDF opened and then open the second and subsequent PDF and check if that works.

As mentioned, if only reader is installed then IE is not crashing. Please try to change the IE PDF handler to Acrobat Reader and check if that helps.

1. open Internet Explorer (IE) > Tools > Manage Add-ons.
  2. Select Toolbar and Extension under add-ons type.
  3. In the Show menu select All Add-ons.
  4. In the list of Add-ons, select Adobe PDF Reader.
  5. Click Enable

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a quick answer!

We use only the Reader Add-on but the error occurs anyway if Pro is installed, se picture.

We create a PDF from a build in report generator in our Web application and it is shown in a modal window where it is handeled by the Acrobat Add-on, se picture. Since the window is modal it has to be closed to continue and several windows can not be opened parallell. The IE crash does not occurr after the first PDF is genereted/viewed but rather after this is done a couple of times (in my testing often after 4-10 PDF:s were created/viewed).

IEAdd-ons.jpgAcrobatWindow.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that a customer reported exactly the same problem on another Web-application using IE as the browser so it is not isolated only to our application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing simliar issues, huge issues mostly with PDF Viewing from IE.  This resolved our issue NOTE there are other versions but this is for DC pro/reader.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bDisallowDLLUnload"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bDisallowDLLUnload"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral]

"iDelayBeforeQuitBrowser"=dword:0001FA40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral]

"iDelayBeforeQuitBrowser"=dword:0001FA40

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip, we will try this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users in my organization are reporting this exact issue. We have an application that will allow you to open one .pdf but if you close it and try to open a second the browser crashes. "Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.17763.771, Faulting module name: Acrobat.dll, version: 20.13.20064.12623, Exception code: 0xc0000005". 

We have the same result in Edge Chromium and IE11. The application is running in compatability mode. Curious if yours is using any compatability settings? We started receiving reports in early November and so fare it is only affecting users who have Adobe Acrobat DC installed via CC. Reader DC is fine. I tried the reg keys mentioned but that didnt seem to make a difference. Admittedly I havent rebooted yet, but will here in a few. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Restarted... no change. 😢 Still crashing on the second pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are running the application on Internet Explorer 11 in Compatibility Mode.

@Adobe - this could be a clue on reproducing and fixing the problem. Have you had any progress in fixing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The registry keys above didn't fix the issue for me either. 

Only happened since last update.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

Thanks for sharing your observation on this issue. I have shared some steps in private message please check if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

the workaround you described seems to get rid of the problem in my test environment, I have not got the error after it was applied. I'll let som clients test it as well so we will se if it helps them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal and StaMar, could you please share the workaround so I can test it in my environment too.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share with me -- I'm having the issue with about 20 issues here as well. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both Acrobat DC and Reader DC installed and for me this

action helped:

Swapping the default handler for browser via following reg key as a workaround

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe
set the default value to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key seems to keep the browser from crashing but the app isnt able to display the pdf content. Anyone else who has tried the classes root key experiencing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to make sure that adobe reader DC and adobe acrobat DC were both installed for the key to work properly. Do you have both installed, KatieMaetie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Reader 2017 installed but updated to Reader DC and restarted. If it seems to be working for others on here, I will reach out to the web application's support team and see if there is anything they can do on their end. @Amal. is this workaround likely to be permanent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it again (with more patience) PDFLoad.jpgand it looks like it actually is working but takes about 30 seconds to display the pdf (grey screen until it does). Not sure why. I would still love to know if the workaround is permanent so that I can determine my approach for implimentation on the affected systems (several thousand). Thanks for all of your help forum team! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue on our side. To reproduce the problem easily, follow these steps:

- Open Internet Explorer

- Browse to any website including en embedded PDF. For example: https://msu.edu/~urban/sme865/resources/embedded_pdf.html

- Refresh 2 or 3 times the page

Internet Explorer will stop working:

ACrobat problem.png

When you look for the error message in the EventViewer, this is related to ntdll.dll module from Adobe Acrobat.

This issue occurs ONLY since the latest Adobe DC Pro : 20.013.20064 Planned update, Nov 03, 2020 (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousnovember202...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been encountering the exact same issue, starting from when the latest version of Acrobat DC Pro went live.  I've applied the fix in this thread and it seems to be working so far.

@Amal. Any chance this will be included in the list of known issues for this release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

The optional update (ver. 20.13.20066) addressing this issue is now available (Windows Only). Please try to update the application to the new version available from the help menu > check for updates or you can manually download the patch using the link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Amal, can you confirm these bug fixes will also be intergrated into the next full release as well.

I assume your full releases incorporate the optional update fixes.

Bug fixes

Browser
  • 4317476: Performance issues while loading PDFs in IE Browser and SAP tools
  • 4317186: IE Browser & SAP tools crashing when opening second PDF

regards

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines