Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers inaccessible - all grayed out in Reader and Acrobat on Mac

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've got a layered file which I simply cannot access properly. It's a sewing pattern and you should be able to switch the right size layer on or off to allow you to print it off as you wish. However, in both Reader and Acrobat the layers properties etc are all greyed out so I cannot access any of it. I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean so I hope someone might have a solution! (and yes, I have been into preferences>document> allowed layer state to be set by user information)

Thanks, Ian

Apple 2017 Imac running OS 10.13.6 High Sierra

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

If you even open the file in Preview it can get corrupted. That's how bad that application is.

Is the file you shared the one you downloaded, as is, or did you open it in Preview first, and then upload it?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks for the tip! I was having the same problem, but this worked - can finally access the layers on my PDF 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program are you using to create your layered PDF? I don't see any layers in your screen shot. If you are using InDesign, turn on the Create Acrobat Layers check box when exporting your PDF, select one of the layers or sub-layers from the Acrobat layers view and right click to access the layer properties.

PDF Layers from InDesign.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke, This is a downloaded PDF which someone else has created and has been tested and used by others without any issue! This is why I'm so confused by it, I can only imagine it relates to the settings within my own copy of Reader or Acrobat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the download link, or upload the PDF so we can take a look?

Since it's not working for you in Acrobat or Reader, it seems unlikely to be a preferences issue, but it's possible.

What version of Acrobat are you using? Have you checked for updates? (Help> Check for updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure I'm up to date as I'm on Creative Cloud - both are version 2020.012.20048. I can't seem to upload the PDF here and the original download is behind a paywall, so I've put it on WeTransfer here - https://we.tl/t-0NMU1CVN2n

Thanks again for any insights!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no layers in this file. Maybe it was flattened at some point, or incorrectly created (the application listed as creating it is "Preview", which is not a good sign...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking at the file; all the sewing pattern files which I have are downloaded from the creator's website in the same way by many different people. From contacting other sewing people about this they have found no problem with switching the layers on and off to show the particular size they require which is why I'm so confused by why it won't work for me! As a Mac user my default PDF viewer is Preview, but at no point has the file been knowingly flattened, even opening a freshly downloaded document in Reader or Acrobat yields zero access to layers!

I'm at a bit of a loss for what's going on really...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you even open the file in Preview it can get corrupted. That's how bad that application is.

Is the file you shared the one you downloaded, as is, or did you open it in Preview first, and then upload it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is now solved. Safari was set to automatically open safe files such as PDF's once they're downloaded and it appears that this, just as you suggested flattens it forever. I've turned that off and set Reader as the default PDF viewer. Somewhat incredible that Preview does that much damage to a file just by opening it, will definitely be reporting that to Apple. Having downloaded one of the files again and opened first in Reader all the layers are now visible and accessible. Thanks for everyone's help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it, and I agree. The fact that Apple's own, default PDF viewer is so buggy is unbelievable, and it's been like that for YEARS. It also corrupts PDF form fields, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am experiencing the very same problem, I am unable to view the layers in acrobat on my MacBook Air, I have been following your notes above and even downloaded the file again but am still unable to view the layers the functions are grayed out, any advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't working because something has removed the layers. If it actually had layers you'd see a list of them in your first screen shot. So the damage was already done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem w my Patterns- I have a Mac os monterey and none of the patterns I bought will let me access layers- they are grayed out! One of the first patterns I bought will and it seems to be the only one- HELP PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not tried this on OS Monteray so can't be sure if it will work. But this is what I did on High Sierra to fix the issue;

1 - Make sure that Preview is not your default PDF viewer

2 - Change Safari preferences so that it doesn't automatically open PDF's after your download them

3 - Only open the pattern PDF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat and it should work correctly.

If you open the file in Preview it will corrupt it/flatten it and when you then try and open it in Reader or Acrobat it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem.  Where do I go to change the pdf reader?  Which menu?  I'm not finding it and it is soooooo frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this is late but I was having the same problem on my Mac and the fixes above didn't work.  I was originally using Chrome.  So, I put the URL into Safari, downloaded the pattern directly to my computer, then right clicked on it to "open with adobe acrobat" and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip! I was having the same problem, but this worked - can finally access the layers on my PDF 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines