• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked table of contents for combined Word documents converted into PDF--how to make?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've converted Word documents into .pdf files before, and I know I can get individual chapters to have a linked table of contents. But, I've never had any luck with making a master document and having the table of contents (TOC) linked within the final .pdf. If I leave each chapter's TOC at the beginning of the chapter, it works great. But, I need the TOC at the beginning of the .pdf. The software does not seem to be designed to combine multiple chapters' TOCs where chapter 2's is directly underneath chapter 1, and chapter 3 is just below chapter 2, etc. 

I know that I can create individual links within a .pdf, but for 100+ page reports with a TOC, List of Figures, and List of Tables, this is an enormous amount of time. I would appreciate any suggestions! (I have the latest version of Adobe and Word.)

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have bookmarks pointing to each chapter then you can use this (paid-for) tool I've developed to convert them into a real TOC, with clickable links that will take you to the start of each chapter:

https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-create-a-table-of-contents-toc-in-a-pdf-file-from-bookmarks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines