Highlighted

Linked Video Does Not Play on Mac

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have built a PDF that links to about 100 video clips using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on my PC. All the videos are MP4 and they reside in a sub-folder named 'Media'. All these links work fine from my PC. But when I try them on my Mac I am told simply "Could not open the file". Yet if I go directly to the Media folder on the Mac (where I have placed them) and click on the file names they open fine, and they do so using Quicktime, which is what I want. So what could the problem be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Problem solved. It turns out that Acrobat ALWAYS shows in the full path to the link, no matter what. The only way to have a folder structure that is portable to another PC is to put the PDF and the media it links to in the same folder. Even then it stores (or at least, displays) the full path. And incredibly, when you move that folder to a different computer, it again displays the full path to wherever you put it on that computer. Evidently, then, it must be storing the fact that the link is to a media file in the same folder, and only displaying the full path to its new location. That raises the question: What if the folder structure on the target computer just happens to be the same as that on the source computer where the link was originally established? 

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Linked Video Does Not Play on Mac

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have built a PDF that links to about 100 video clips using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on my PC. All the videos are MP4 and they reside in a sub-folder named 'Media'. All these links work fine from my PC. But when I try them on my Mac I am told simply "Could not open the file". Yet if I go directly to the Media folder on the Mac (where I have placed them) and click on the file names they open fine, and they do so using Quicktime, which is what I want. So what could the problem be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Problem solved. It turns out that Acrobat ALWAYS shows in the full path to the link, no matter what. The only way to have a folder structure that is portable to another PC is to put the PDF and the media it links to in the same folder. Even then it stores (or at least, displays) the full path. And incredibly, when you move that folder to a different computer, it again displays the full path to wherever you put it on that computer. Evidently, then, it must be storing the fact that the link is to a media file in the same folder, and only displaying the full path to its new location. That raises the question: What if the folder structure on the target computer just happens to be the same as that on the source computer where the link was originally established? 

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops... I think I mis-labeled the folders, so please ignore this post till I double-check. Sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post was indeed a mistake. Unfortunately I see no way to delete it so I will continue based on my new understanding of the problem...

What I'm trying to do is create a PDF with links to video clips that will still work when it is moved to someone else's computer. Thus I have an immediate sub-folder of the folder containing the PDF, called Media, and I was expecting the the PDF would simply store the direct link to that folder so that, when the main folder gets moved to another computer, the PDF would know to simply look in the Media folder just below it.

However, I find that every time I do this, Acrobat provides the full path to the video clip, starting with the root C: But oviously when it gets moved, the reader's full path is exceedingly unlikely to match the one stored in the PDF.

So how do I force Acrobat to make this link relative instead of absolute?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0