• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links embedded in PDF take long time to load in browser

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason when I try to click a link in a PDF file, Acrobat seems to freeze(unresponsive and entire program window goes washed out) and the link eventually loads in my web browser(Chrome). It takes about a minute for the link to open up.

I am using a Windows 10 64 bit machine with the latest Acrobat Pro DC software.

I have tried Protected View-Off and Enable Enhanced Security- Unchecked with no luck.

Any other suggestions to speed up web links?

Thanks,

Toby

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

I was able to fix the problem. In Preferences > Security (Enhanced), I unchecked "Enable Enhanced Security" and also checked both "Automatically trust documents with valid certification" and "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" 

Links now open right away. Thanks for the advise to change security preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Toby,

As per the issue description mentioned above, when clicking embedded links in a pdf, it takes time to load them as well as Acrobat freezes, is that correct?

Could you confirm dot version of Acrobat you have on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Does this happen with a specific pdf? Have you tried with another pdf ( with embedded links)?

Also, would it be possible to share the pdf file you are working with to replicate the issue at our end? To share the file here in the forums, refer to the steps given in this link: How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

You may also share the link for the pdf via private message - How Do I Send Private Message

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct.

I am using 2019.008.20081

This happens with multiple PDF's. Yes, I have tried others.

Here is an example of a recent PDF that I could not load the link to:

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dynatnt1,

Thanks for sharing the link for the file. I tried replicating the issue on a machine with Acrobat Pro DC's latest version  2019.008.20081, Windows 10, but the issue was not reproducible. I have shared you a link for the video file for the same via private message.

Could you try changing the URL in the pdf to https:// and check if that helps? You may also try changing the default browser to another browser and check.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the confusion, I now noticed that when I click the "Manage Account" link under my Acrobat account it also does that same thing of a super delayed access to my web browser.

Can't seem to figure this one out.

I have tried to remove and reinstall Acrobat.

Shut off Windows Defender

Add Acrobat to my Firewall settings

It will eventually connect to the internet but is just very unresponsive for about a minute before it responds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dynatnt1,

The issue might be related to the network settings in your environment. If you are in IT managed network, try contacting the IT and see what they have to suggest. Also, try connecting the machine to a different environment and see if that helps.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHERE IS THE FIX? updating does nothing, this happens with every computer I have tested it on. this is truly pathetic, WHAT IS THE FIX? ??!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the answer to this problem.  It's not a network issue.  I'm not on a network, just my own wifi.  I have this problem all of the time.   Adobe just spins when I click on a weblink that is embedded into my document.  It eventually opens up minutes later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Did you ever get a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone from Adobe please reply to this? I've had this issue for years and it still happens. Acrobat Pro DC and it's definitely not my machine. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue too. I have Creative Cloud which says Adobe Acrobat DC is "Up to date." I'm running it in Windows 10 on a Dell laptop purchased a few months ago with 32GB Memory, 1 TB solid state drive, and Intel i7 Processor. I just checked and have 932.5 mbps internet download speed. Windows updates are set to install automatically. I have auto-update on my browers. When I click a link in a PDF, it takes almost two full minutes to open the link. Halfway through that process, Windows tells me Acrobat is trying to open a link and asks for my approval. I CHECK the box to "Remember this action for this site for all PDF documents" and click Allow. Eventually the link opens. If I close the browser window and click the same link again, I get the same question even though it's the same link (i.e. the same domain). I'm thinking this has something to do with the way Adobe Acrobat DC operates in the Windows 10 environment. I really wish Adobe would take a deeper dive on this issue. I don't find much help when searching online for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Identical problem. 2 minutes to open hyperlink with multiple core, latest Windows 10 computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a new Dell XPS 17 and I am now experiencing this exact issue. Same Windows 10 operating system. It did not happen on my old laptop. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I continue to have the problem, and have not found solution. I've tried all Preferences Internet, selection of browsers, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure why this happens and I cannot suggest a fix other than maybe switching to your browser's pdf functionalities. It's just a theory, but I think that this issue arises from the backwards compatibility of 32-bit applications on more modern hardware and operating systems. If anyone here has an old 32 bit PC laying about could you tell us if acrobat works like a charm for you? It's absolutely horrendous on my PC.

Cheers,

Ahmed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++ Adding to the discussion,

I think it's a good habit to check what is getting logged or filtered in the firewall of the operating system and also the WiFi router/firewall.

What happens if you just connect directly to the Internet without a WiFi router in-between?

Looks like a rule or a service need to be disabled.

In addition, what happens if you disable Protected View at Startup in the Acrobat Preferences?

It also looks like some other sandboxing  preference in Security (Enhanced) need to be disabled /enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix the problem. In Preferences > Security (Enhanced), I unchecked "Enable Enhanced Security" and also checked both "Automatically trust documents with valid certification" and "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" 

Links now open right away. Thanks for the advise to change security preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! thank you for updating the thread and sharing this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaveM,

Do you also experience this problem in a MS Windows 10 computer or any version of Windows?

I think I agree with the comment of FirePetrol about the 32-bit backward compatibility with newer hardware amd operating systems.

I am wondering if, in the case that you have MS Windows 10, if you're able to see some improvement by opening the compatibility mode wizard and select an older Windows environment for Adobe Acrobat, like Windows 8, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 on all my devices.

I tried:

Windows 8 compatability

Windows 7 compatability

Run as administrator

Nothing worked. The only difference was when I clicked on Acrobat when it was hanging, it didn't show "not responding". It showed a wrist watch cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this behavior occuring with any web browser as well?

Would you be able to share an example of the link?

Also, when you click on the link, does the user gets a prompt to select a web browser or does Acrobat goes ahead and opens the link in a web browser that is not the default we browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It opens in my default browser, Chrome. The app hangs up and says "not responding" for a couple of minutes before the link opens. It's al links even email address links.

PDFs opened in Chrome work fine.

This version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe Acrobat is integrated with the Microsoft Windows File Explorer, and File Explorer seems to be also integrated with Internet Explorer's Internet Properties, see if the following action would make any difference:

• With Acrobat opened, goto Edit --->>> Preferences --->>> "Internet" and click on the " Internet Settings..." button.
  • When the Internet Options dialogue window opens up, go to the Advanced tab.
  • Scroll down in the list of options to the Security section
  • If you have "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" checked, disable it. Then click OK, close Acrobat and restart the computer.

Not sure if this will make a difference but I did notice a delay in loading a weblink when I  had that setting enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was already unchecked. Didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines