Highlighted

Links lost from Word to PDF

New Here ,
May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seemed like my conversion of word docx files used to convert to pdf and would retain the hyperlinks that had been created. But lately it hasnt been automatic. What am I missing? How do I ensure that the carefully placed hyperlinks in my word document make it over into my Adobe PDF files.

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC ver. 2017

Topics

Create PDFs, Macintosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Links lost from Word to PDF

New Here ,
May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seemed like my conversion of word docx files used to convert to pdf and would retain the hyperlinks that had been created. But lately it hasnt been automatic. What am I missing? How do I ensure that the carefully placed hyperlinks in my word document make it over into my Adobe PDF files.

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC ver. 2017

Topics

Create PDFs, Macintosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make sure you have set the "PDF Maker" preference correctly. Select the "ACROBAT" ribbon tab and on the far left click on the "Preferences" button. A pop-up window will open and provide various tabs that will allow you to set the conversion options. On the "Settings" tab make sure the "Add links" option is selected.  You may want to also check the "Create Bookmarks" option and then use the "Bookmark" tab to select what Word bookmarks or structures you want to use to create the bookmarks. After you have finished making your selections, click "OK" and then use "Create PDF" Button to create the PDF.

Do not print to the Adobe PDF printer.

If you do not have the "ACROBAT"  ribbon item or it is not active then you need to enable the PDF Maker add-in to MS Office.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Word for Mac 2016 I have an Acrobat tab on the right end of my Word ribbon. (why hadn't I noticed that before?) I have two icons- Create PDF and Preferences. Preferences only shows me one option--indicating that "You can create high quality, rich and accessible PDFs using Adobe Create PDF Cloud service" and then has a box to click for "Prompt for using Adobe Create PDF Cloud service" and then click OK. I've done it both with the box clicked and without it and the resulting PDF still doesn't bring over my links.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you weren't using the Acrobat ribbon before, you weren't using Acrobat, I'm thinking.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem probably relates to mine, which is that Word fields are converted into gibberish.

Specifically: Word field { FILENAME /* MERGEFORMAT } becomes 'ba182097-921f-4815-af12-91d25b59f547'

(Word 15.37 on Mac, using 'Create PDF' tool; both programs up to date)

As for the Preferences tab, this is what it gives:

Any suggestion would be welcome. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only option I can see too. And Acrobat Pro uploads any PDF automatically into the cloud!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

export your word doc to pages add bookmarks and links or TOC and it works great

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that IS the name and that it is the name because Actobat is working on a temporary copy. Just speculation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've speculated in the same direction. This is likely to be the code Word and Acrobat DC use for the exchange.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't for me. What do you do that makes it upload to the cloud? What version do you have?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest Acrobat Pro for Mac. Creative cloud. When I choose create PDF from File, the document is uploaded to the cloud, then a PDF is downloaded and displayed. If I unplug my Mac, the conversion doesn't work, there is an error.

If I go to Help>sign out, then I cannot use any Creative Cloud App anymore.

So I can't use the paid Acrobat Pro to generate PDFs without uploading them to their Cloud? What about confidential documents?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cloud conversion option is available on the MacOS version of Acrobat Pro simply because Office for Mac doesn't provide sufficient information to Acrobat to propagate links, tagging, etc. as it does under Windows.

The Cloud conversion, while it has some drawbacks, uses the Windows version of Office for the conversion and thus, has the potential for higher quality PDF with more features than the PDFMaker feature for Office for Mac can provide.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, an official answer, thank you Dov. Please, how to I turn this off or make it optional? I see on other users Macs who don't have a Creative Cloud license, but use Acrobat Pro through a site license that the file is not uploaded. Data protection legislation is not only an issue in the UK but also in in the EU.

And speaking of cloud conversion: the fonts are wrong once it is converted (makes sense, since I have my special paid font only locally), so where is the benefit of cloud conversion.

Please follow up on this issue, I really need your help here. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant check my version right now. What type of file are you trying to convert, do you have the relevant app installed, and did you used to be able to convert locally? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Microsoft Word document to PDF. It's a common case. Yes, MS Word is installed. Yes, it worked in Acrobat Pro offline before, I think this worked for the last 15 years I've been using Acrobat Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF