Highlighted

logtransport2.exe

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Does anyone know what the logtransport2.exe process does? It occasionally holds locks on removable drives and I can't use Windows to safely dismount drives because of it.

As far as I am concerned, the Adobe Acrobat application has been closed so why would Adobe have a process holding locks on drives?

I'm about to write a script to automatically kill this process going forward but before I do, wanted to find out if I would be breaking anything if I did it.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Topics

General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

logtransport2.exe

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Does anyone know what the logtransport2.exe process does? It occasionally holds locks on removable drives and I can't use Windows to safely dismount drives because of it.

As far as I am concerned, the Adobe Acrobat application has been closed so why would Adobe have a process holding locks on drives?

I'm about to write a script to automatically kill this process going forward but before I do, wanted to find out if I would be breaking anything if I did it.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Topics

General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logtransport seems to be part of some of Adobe's online services.

From what I read, you can safely remove this executable , but first read this guidance:

https://file.info/windows/logtransport2_exe.html 

And make sure that this file is not tied up to something else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Its strange I couldn't find an official description from Adobe themselves.

I found this description which is a little better in explaining what logtransport2.exe does. Specifically, this paragraph:

"It is an element of Log Transport services for Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader. Log transport services are responsible for the transmission and reception of redo data. Redo data, in simple words, is the data that contains the files which store changes made to a database (in this case, the pdf files). It is a crucial structure for recovery options (recovery of data that was deleted by the user or went missing due to an unexpected closing of the application or system)."

It doesn't explain why a process handling redo data needs to lock a drive for what seems to be quite a long time; more than 5 minutes before I decided this might be a rogue process and looked for a way to kill it. The other question left unanswered if handling redo data was what the process intended to do is: Why would logtransporter2.exe need to fire up when all I did was load and view a PDF and made no changes? I've also seen this process hold locks even after I do edit a PDF and have successfully saved changes. Very strange.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 1
ls_rbls LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently this problem can be traced back to 2014 and it doesn't necessarily affects Acrobat alone; it also manifests with other Adobe products.

According to these other threads, the last May 2020 update addressed the issue.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/logtransport2-exe-how-can-i-disable-it/td-p/11143306?p... 

Is this problem happening even if you update to Acrobat's latest version update?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0