• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

long pdf wants to print on one page

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long pdf that when I try to print, prints on one page, very thin.  How do I widen it to print on multiple pages? 

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Here's an option that will let you keep it all in Acrobat: duplicate the long page several times (using the pages pane). Then crop each page to where you want the page breaks to be. Then print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

I don't think I've ever seen an 8.5 x 141.5 double sided document, what is this for, if you don't mind saying?

I would create an InDesign document at 8.5 x 11 (if that's the size you want), create two master pages, one for the front, with the PDF placed at 0,0, offset and one for the back placed in the same position. Add the desired number of blank pages, Apply the front master to the even numbered pages and the back master to the odd numbered pages. Select all pages and overide the master pages

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

If you know how to program in JavaScript, you can automate this step. I did write a script a long time ago to split e.g. a scanned page with two logical pages on it into individual pages. You can take that as a guide for writing your own program:

http://khkonsulting.com/2014/04/page-splitter-redux/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the page size indicated at the bottom left of your screen? I assume you are printing from Acrobat or Reader? 

If you have a long thin PDF and you want to print it in sections, look for the "Tile" options in your print settings, possibly under "Poster". You could also place your PDF into multiple InDesign pages (or Illustrator artboards) and export to a new, multipage PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.5 x 141.5

I tried the Tile approach, but it won't allow double sided printing.  There ought to be a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I've ever seen an 8.5 x 141.5 double sided document, what is this for, if you don't mind saying?

I would create an InDesign document at 8.5 x 11 (if that's the size you want), create two master pages, one for the front, with the PDF placed at 0,0, offset and one for the back placed in the same position. Add the desired number of blank pages, Apply the front master to the even numbered pages and the back master to the odd numbered pages. Select all pages and overide the master pages. Go to page 3 and change the height offset to -11", go to page 4 and go to Object> Transform again (this will repeat the -11" move). Go to page 5 and change the height offset to -22", etc. If you want overlap or need bleed, you can adjust the size and offset as needed. Export to a new PDF.

If you are doing this regularly, with the same sized PDF, you can simply replace the linked PDF in InDesign.

Tip: you can easily add automatic page numbers, using Type> Insert Special character> Markers> Current Page Number, to the master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an option that will let you keep it all in Acrobat: duplicate the long page several times (using the pages pane). Then crop each page to where you want the page breaks to be. Then print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but a bit laborious when you have a dozen or more pages, and you want double sided printing.  There ought to be a kbetter option, but I guess there is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know how to program in JavaScript, you can automate this step. I did write a script a long time ago to split e.g. a scanned page with two logical pages on it into individual pages. You can take that as a guide for writing your own program:

http://khkonsulting.com/2014/04/page-splitter-redux/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How have you created the PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines