Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loosing the tags from accessible PDF while using PDF Optimizer

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

While doing the PDF optimizer to remove/fatten the transparency I am losing the Tags from that PDF. 

I would love some insight into what is happening and what to do about it. We create tagged documents for accessibility and want to use the PDF Optimize as our final step in the workflow.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to not tick those checkboxes when Optimizing:

Capture_004.pngCapture_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the same and still, the tags are loosing while applying your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also bear in mind that flattening may rasterise text and combine pictures. It is simply impossible to preserve tagging over such changes. It may add any number of artefacts. You really need to flatten first (or not at all, e.g. use PDF/A-2), then tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, but I have already tagged so many files that I need to flatten the transparency. Please let me know is there any other way to achieve/retain the tags while flattenings the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you need to flatten transparency?

This is usualy part of a Print Production process, where tags are useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JR, I have already created the accessible PDF which is going to work on whiteboard and whiteboard is not supporting the transparency. So, whatever work I was done need to re-do the same again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems inconceivable that you could reliably flatten transparency without losing tags. You also lose text, and with it, you lose even the possibility of being accessible. Just don't do it, review your plans or workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I echo with your point and I need to rework on my workflows. But the thing is if PDF has the ability to do the same without impacting the other things why it is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't seem to have taken on board my points about why it cannot (in general) be done at all, even if it could be done in particular cases. How would you make rasterised text accessible? What would you do if all your graphics run together? The tags are all attached to specific graphical elements, but you are about to throw all those elements away and re-make a page that looks similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am rasterizing only images that having transparency, not for the text. So, I want to know is there any possibilities to achieve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be technically possible to flatten only the images, but my tests suggest that Acrobat always flattens one page to make a new page, working at a graphical level. So all non-graphical content is likely to be lost. You can try the transparency flattener directly, it may have more control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines