• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low contrast on scanned pdf

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large number of documents that appear to have been scanned on grayscale. The background is white, but the text is gray and difficult to read.

Is there an easy way to increase the contrast of the document in pdf form?

So far, I have been able to print the document, and using the printer settings I can print high contrast, and darken the image, but then I have to re-scan it. This is a waste of paper and time.

I can also save it as a tiff, but it splits into multiple pages, then I have to fix each page and recombine into a pdf. very time consuming!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not easy in Acrobat. That is a job best done by a graphics editor. You could try printing to B&W or using some of the color conversion options under the tools to convert it, but do not expect magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I tried many of the existing options, the only thing that seems to work is going to tiff, fixing the color, then going back to pdf.

It seems like a long way around, I was just hoping for a better way, or at least a way to automate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a color conversion under the TOOLS>Print Production. You could also try printing to a new PDF with the B&W option selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to do this but I bought a old version of Photoshop to do it.  If you have photoshop, let us know and I will attempt to explan the steps, Im a beginner learning to decrease book file size create a PDF library from my books, mostly from mixing all the good ideas other posters have made.... I have learned alot over the past 4-5 months, eventhough I only half way know what I am doing!

Mattee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can generally enhance the contrast of a scanned document in Adobe Acrobat using the: PREFERENCES/ACCESSIBILITY / REPLACE DOCUMENT COLORS drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!! Worked great to darken the text on my faded-looking scan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm leaving this comment here for any future users needing help solving this problem as I did. Fortunately I found that some of the most common image editing software applications can open PDF's.

If you open your PDF in GIMP you can then adjust contrast/brightness, curves, levels, you name it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines