Mail.app wants to sign using key "privatekey" in your keychain

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to sign a document using the sign/signature tool but for whatever reason, I ended creating a digital signature by mistake now I can't send the email without attaching a private key. I needed to remove this ASAP. 

Adobe Reader doesn't allow me to remove the certificate. i.e clicking on the "Remove Id" does nothing.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 11.31.47.png

SOLUTION:

1. Open Keychain on your mac "search 'keychain' in Spotlight (The magnifying glass icon on the top right of your screen) or Go to >Applications>Utilities>Keychain.app

2. Find the culprit certificate in the list

3. Take a back of the key in case something goes wrong by exporting the certificate.

4. >>> Delete

5. Restart the Mail app and also the Adobe Reader app.

Sorted 🙂

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

New Here , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021
Go to "my certificates' and delete them all and then send mail you should be allowed.

translate

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So which key chain is the culprit?  

I've deleted a bunch of them and none of them have the effect.

I really must remove the request to type in my password for each email --it's absurd!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lonna5CD0 did you get this resolved.  I am having the exact same issue - it's so annoying.  Trying to solve it.  Any insights would be great.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Did you resolve this issue. I have the same problem. I also looked under 'My Certificates' but it was empty. Its so frustrating, I cant send any mail. Thanks! 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to "my certificates' and delete them all and then send mail you should be allowed.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huma5DD1's solution (delete items in "MyCertificates" - found under the Category menu in the bottom L of the Keychains window) worked for me.

Thank you so much!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful easy solution to a terrible obscure problem.  Thank you!!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great so far.

Thanks and Aloha

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked a treat!  Thank you 😄

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines