• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Field Required if Another Field's Value Changes from "Please enter Job Responsibility"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form I am developing for Employee Evaluations where the manager is given space to list up to 10 job responsibilities. HR is requesting that the comment section under a job responsibility is mandatory should the field's placeholder text change. 

In essence, I need field "R1 - Comments" to become required if field "Responsibility #1" no longer says "Please enter Job Responsibility". 

I know that I need to leverage custom javascript placed within the validation tab of field "Responsibilty #1" but thus far I have not had any success. This seems rather straight forward but all the examples I have found online are from years in the past and I can't seem to get any of the examples to work properly.

Anyone have an idea? Thoughts? 

Thanks,
Cody Henslee

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

I found a work around by using a custom script on the calculation tab of the comment field.

var v = this.getField("Responsibility #1").value;

if (v=="Please enter Job Responsibility from Job Description."){event.target.required=false}else{event.target.required=true}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the current javascript I have put together but var role is returning "undefined" even though it is populated with "Please enter Job Responsibility"

var role = this.getField("Responsibility #1").value;
var comment = this.getField("R1 - Comments");

if (role!="Please enter Job Responsibility"){
this.getField(comment).mandatory = true;
}else{this.getField(comment).mandatory = false;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a work around by using a custom script on the calculation tab of the comment field.

var v = this.getField("Responsibility #1").value;

if (v=="Please enter Job Responsibility from Job Description."){event.target.required=false}else{event.target.required=true}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying something similar but cannot make it works. 

I have a radio-button fieldA (YES/NO) and need to make mandatory the Field B only if Field A si selected NO. 

Could you help?

Thank you

regards

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally the way to do this with a radio button is to put a MouseUp script on each of the buttons.

Use this on the "No" button.

this.getField("FieldB").required = true;

Put this script on the MouseUp for the "Yes" button.

this.getField("FieldB").required = false;

This methodology is very simple and does not take into account form reset. If reset is an issue, then you'll need to include a script for setting the required property on reset.  

Also, the required property only blocks form submission. So if you are not submitting the form, you'll need another methodolgy.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Tom. It works perfectly. 

Now, onw more twist. Have a fieldA with drop-down list to select options (white, blue, orange, red, yellow, brown, black). and a radio-button fieldB with two options. 

How can we make FieldB mandatory only if fieldA is black or brown or blue? 

thank you in advance!

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest solution for using a single dropdown to set a property on another field is to use a validation script on the dropdown. 

So, put this script into a custom validation script on "fieldA": https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Form-Data-Validation.cfm

this.getField("fieldB").required = ((event.value == "black") || (event.value == "brown") || (event.value == "blue"));

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines