Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mixed size paper printing

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have MacBookAir  latest version updates 10.13.6

Brother printer: HL-L5200DWT - Laser dual tray. Assured by Brother that printer is compatible with Mac and is able to print mixed size letter/legal docs. All set up with Br-Script 3 Printer Driver.

NEITHER Adobe Reader or Adobe Pro are able to get mixed size documents to print- I set up the file to print using Adobe, click the 'choose paper source by pdf page size' option and hit 'print'. I then get an 'error' message on the Brother Printer, that the 'no paper in the MP tray' and nothing happens. The Multipurpose tray is designated as a 3x5 size, so why it thinks it should print from that tray is beyond me. The other two trays are designated Legal and Letter. Multiple phone calls to Brother - no solution. They are blaming it on the Adobe application. Since Adobe has no Customer Support aside from this forum ( WHAT???! REALLY???!) this is my only option to find an answer. Anyone else with this or a similar problem and if so- did you find a solution you can share with me? Thank you.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Thanks for responding. I’ve tried both Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as well  Adobe Pro and both did the same thing- when I hit ‘print ‘ it pulled from the MP tray and I got the ‘error ‘ message on the printer. It’s funny you called out the printer driver because I said the same thing to the Brother support rep. The driver is supposed to tell the printer which tray to pull paper from-so why is it pulling from a tray not designated for those size papers? Even if the Adobe application tells it to pull f

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

I found this after HOURS of uninstalling the latest Windows update, reinstalling printers, reinstalling print drivers.  ONE check mark solved the problem after all that aggravation.  Of course Adobe will still have to address this, as we don't know what security issues this really poses.

PDF print paper size - Adobe Support Community - 11821135

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The problem is the printer driver incorrectly handling the requests from MacOS or not showing the correct information to MacOS. Acrobat handles all requests via the MacOS API. Conforming printers will work. Reader and Pro are using the same print engine. They differ in what you can do with PDF files and the options you can set for printing.
    Sometimes it helps updating the printer drivers FROM the manufacturers web site. The OS does not always get the latest versions.
  2. Adobe has customer service: Contact Customer Care . You can connect via chat and/or phone. However free products are not eligible.
  3. You didn't specify the version of your Acrobat.
ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. I’ve tried both Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as well  Adobe Pro and both did the same thing- when I hit ‘print ‘ it pulled from the MP tray and I got the ‘error ‘ message on the printer. It’s funny you called out the printer driver because I said the same thing to the Brother support rep. The driver is supposed to tell the printer which tray to pull paper from-so why is it pulling from a tray not designated for those size papers? Even if the Adobe application tells it to pull from the MP tray, the printer driver should recognize that the size paper from that tray is incorrect and redirect to the appropriate tray. Yes? I tried calling the phone number for Adobe Support and was informed the Adobe Readers do not have any phone support, only the Community Forum. BTW- that Brother Printer driver version was released in September 2016! I asked when it was updated last- waiting for answers to that.

Addendum: The Brother Support rep just called me this AM (9/19/18) and we reviewed everything. He remoted into my computer and checked everything.  Then he had me go into System Preferences/ Printers/Scanners/ and delete the Brother printer. Next: reset printer to 'Factory resets'.

We then started over- reloading the printer into my computer with the appropriate Brother Driver (Br- Script 3) -same one- resetting the printer settings-reconnecting Wifi and reassigning paper tray sizes. Then he had me use a 'test doc' that he had (instead of the one I'd been using) and VOILA! Printed like a charm-two different sizes! Don't ask me why the other 4 Brother tech support people didn't instruct me to do this.......But Problem SOLVED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I am on the phone now with Brother Support, I have the identical printer you have and a Mac Pro.  If possible can you please call into Brother and request the name of the Rep that walked you through the process.  This is my third time calling into Brother I read your post and they are not able to walk me through.  I have deleted my Brother printer, then installed my Brother printer directly from Brother Support.  I have reassigned paper tray 1 and 2 with letter and  legalT paper.  This is vital for my business, if possible your assistance is much appreciated.  I do not have an Adobe paid product just the free version.   When I read your complaint I was so happy to know someone else is having this issue and was able to resolve.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pay Adobe and have the SAME problem on my HL-L6200DWT Brother, Was on the phone for TWO hours the other day.  Eventually Brother blamed Adobe. WTF. My next call will be a conference call with Brother and Adobe and let them figure it out!!! I need to print 135 page documents for work, I NEED this to work!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY SOLVED!

You have to rotate ALL the pages 180 degrees until they are upside down!

Then it will print correctly everytime!

Crazy, but it WORKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I have know that trick for over a year. It did work. For over a year. This past month after an update, everything went to poop again! I have reinstalled the script driver over and over again!!!!!  It is a night mare, I need to print 135 or more page documents at a time for real estate closings!!!  HELP. After 2 hours on the phone with Brother, they told me to call Adobe!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a closer also. did you ever figure this out?

Happy Holidays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is still an on going nightmare. In September I emailed with Amal and then received phone calls and emails from Dov Isaacs. He requested that I send him a sample of what we closers print. I appreciated his seemingly genuine care, I sat for an HOUR blacking out private information on about 15 different size pages, I scanned and sent to him so he could recreate the issue. He followed up with me maybe once! Yes the issue was recreated, and then I NEVER heard from ADOBE AGAIN!!!! Soooooooo pissed.

My next stop was this:  I phoned/emailed all of the companies I do most of my business with. Since legal paper is so expensive anyway, I asked them If I could reduce to fit any legal size document onto letter size paper. The answers were ALL "Yes, as long as NOTHING was cut off". That is my F------ work around.

Thank you Adobe for nothing.  0 stars. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encountered this issue for the past few days. I tried all the combinabtions and nothing seemed to work. Worked fine on windows but mac was having issues.

Finally on the mac laptop after adding the printer by "IP address" instead of "Default" in System preference -> Printers & Scanners, I was able to print mixed paper sizes from a single document when selecting "Choose paper source by PDF page size"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually don't need to add by IP address. When adding a new printer select the driver as Generic PostScript Printer and it should work as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later same issue... Did everything you said and nothing works...

MacAir 10.14.1

Adobe DC Pro 2019.021.20061

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a real estate attorney and am having the same issues you all are, but on an HP PC: I have been printing mixed files (letter and legal) with the same laptop and printer for a year, but now it will only print one paper type at a time. I unistalled and reinstalled both Adobe and the printer driver software and am selecting "Choose paper source by PDF size" in the print window, but it will still only print all letter or all legal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this after HOURS of uninstalling the latest Windows update, reinstalling printers, reinstalling print drivers.  ONE check mark solved the problem after all that aggravation.  Of course Adobe will still have to address this, as we don't know what security issues this really poses.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/pdf-print-paper-size/td-p/11821135

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raavi5EEB_1-1613017011176.png

I am having similar issue, in print preview TOP and bottom are cutoff. It was working untill yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF print paper size - Adobe Support Community - 11821135

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, This is NOT what I am speaking about.  I know about checking THAT box. My issue is totally different. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped as far as increasing scale from 75% to 96% which I select "Fit" and "Choose Paper Source By PDF Size"  However, I cannot seem to get my "legal" size sheets to print.  So far I am unable to determine if it is still an Adobe issue or a Brother one.  Anybody in the community has any advice on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this - it worked for me!!!

If you are having trouble printing your documents recently, and you know your Adobe settings are correct (Choose Paper Source BY PDF Page Size" and Actual Size), please follow the steps below (screenshot included for reference)

1. Launch Adobe
  2. Click on Edit (from Menu Bar)
  3. Click on Preferences
  4. Click on Security (Enhanced)
  5. Uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup (Preview)"
  6. Click Yes on the popup
  7. Click on OK
  8. Close Adobe and then Re-Launch Adobe

Hopefully that will fix any issues you might have experienced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having a similar problem, I have a macOS and a Brother MFC--L5800DW and it won't pull the different size papers so I have to manually insert page #'s instead of just hitting print so the printer can pull the correct size paper!!! Uggg according to a post from an Adobe associate, it is a bug and is in the queue to be fixed! That does not help me(us) with a NOW solution!  I tried downloading the 2017 but that would not even allow the document to open so that idea is out....I am so exhausted with this problem!  We need a Solution!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is NOT the printer driver.  I have spoke to many upper management at Adobe, This IS an Adobe bug and it has been going on since 2018 That I am aware of!!! I even sent the mixed size documents to Dov Isaacs from Adobe but he never offered me a solution other either. Again this is NOT a Brother or an Apple issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting your response.  I am also an NSA and use a MacOS/Brother and have been printing by selecting the correct page size manually which is very inefficient.  I did get a response from Adobe stating it was in the queue to be fixed, which is nice, but not a solution. I need this NOW!  I even tried loading the older 2017 Adobe Version with no success on that idea. 😞

ADOBE PLEASE HURRY and fix this dilemma!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. Mac : go to printers in System preferences. Delete your printer. Tap +(add printer). At the left top corner choose IP.  At address lane put up if your printer. At a protocol lane choose IPP.  At the left bottom corner: USE: chose driver manually-it should be downloaded from brother web site. You have to choose brotherScript( it similar). :heavy_check_mark: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds easy enough... I am like most other people on here. A signing agent with a Mac... Instead of using a Brother printer I am using a Ricoh with all the same capabilities, but I'm having the same issue with printing mixed size pages from Adobe Reader.

Has this solution from @igor5FB7  worked for others???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution That Worked for Me:

System: MacOS

Version: 14.2.1 (23C71)

Printing from: Adobe Acrobat

Printer: Brother MFC-L5800DW

Modifications: Added a second tray purchased separately

1. Deleted my Brother MFC-L5800DW current normal installation
  2. Added printer by using IP address
  3. Use the IP address from the back of the printer on the web management page
  4. On the same screen, I selected “Generic PostScript Printer” on the drop-down named: “use”
  5. Click “Add”
  6. When printing, make sure “Actual Size” and “Choose paper source by PDF size” are chosen/selected
  7. On actual physical printer settings, choose settings, tray settings, paper size, select the paper size for each tray, select “tray use”, select T1>T2>MP

These settings worked for me. I hope this helps anyone out there since I know how frustrating it can be. It took me months and 2 printers later to figure it out.

Wish you the very best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines