Highlighted

Mixed size paper printing

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have MacBookAir  latest version updates 10.13.6

Brother printer: HL-L5200DWT - Laser dual tray. Assured by Brother that printer is compatible with Mac and is able to print mixed size letter/legal docs. All set up with Br-Script 3 Printer Driver.

NEITHER Adobe Reader or Adobe Pro are able to get mixed size documents to print- I set up the file to print using Adobe, click the 'choose paper source by pdf page size' option and hit 'print'. I then get an 'error' message on the Brother Printer, that the 'no paper in the MP tray' and nothing happens. The Multipurpose tray is designated as a 3x5 size, so why it thinks it should print from that tray is beyond me. The other two trays are designated Legal and Letter. Multiple phone calls to Brother - no solution. They are blaming it on the Adobe application. Since Adobe has no Customer Support aside from this forum ( WHAT???! REALLY???!) this is my only option to find an answer. Anyone else with this or a similar problem and if so- did you find a solution you can share with me? Thank you.

Thanks for responding. I’ve tried both Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as well  Adobe Pro and both did the same thing- when I hit ‘print ‘ it pulled from the MP tray and I got the ‘error ‘ message on the printer. It’s funny you called out the printer driver because I said the same thing to the Brother support rep. The driver is supposed to tell the printer which tray to pull paper from-so why is it pulling from a tray not designated for those size papers? Even if the Adobe application tells it to pull from the MP tray, the printer driver should recognize that the size paper from that tray is incorrect and redirect to the appropriate tray. Yes? I tried calling the phone number for Adobe Support and was informed the Adobe Readers do not have any phone support, only the Community Forum. BTW- that Brother Printer driver version was released in September 2016! I asked when it was updated last- waiting for answers to that.

Addendum: The Brother Support rep just called me this AM (9/19/18) and we reviewed everything. He remoted into my computer and checked everything.  Then he had me go into System Preferences/ Printers/Scanners/ and delete the Brother printer. Next: reset printer to 'Factory resets'.

We then started over- reloading the printer into my computer with the appropriate Brother Driver (Br- Script 3) -same one- resetting the printer settings-reconnecting Wifi and reassigning paper tray sizes. Then he had me use a 'test doc' that he had (instead of the one I'd been using) and VOILA! Printed like a charm-two different sizes! Don't ask me why the other 4 Brother tech support people didn't instruct me to do this.......But Problem SOLVED!

TOPICS
Macintosh, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mixed size paper printing

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have MacBookAir  latest version updates 10.13.6

Brother printer: HL-L5200DWT - Laser dual tray. Assured by Brother that printer is compatible with Mac and is able to print mixed size letter/legal docs. All set up with Br-Script 3 Printer Driver.

NEITHER Adobe Reader or Adobe Pro are able to get mixed size documents to print- I set up the file to print using Adobe, click the 'choose paper source by pdf page size' option and hit 'print'. I then get an 'error' message on the Brother Printer, that the 'no paper in the MP tray' and nothing happens. The Multipurpose tray is designated as a 3x5 size, so why it thinks it should print from that tray is beyond me. The other two trays are designated Legal and Letter. Multiple phone calls to Brother - no solution. They are blaming it on the Adobe application. Since Adobe has no Customer Support aside from this forum ( WHAT???! REALLY???!) this is my only option to find an answer. Anyone else with this or a similar problem and if so- did you find a solution you can share with me? Thank you.

Thanks for responding. I’ve tried both Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as well  Adobe Pro and both did the same thing- when I hit ‘print ‘ it pulled from the MP tray and I got the ‘error ‘ message on the printer. It’s funny you called out the printer driver because I said the same thing to the Brother support rep. The driver is supposed to tell the printer which tray to pull paper from-so why is it pulling from a tray not designated for those size papers? Even if the Adobe application tells it to pull from the MP tray, the printer driver should recognize that the size paper from that tray is incorrect and redirect to the appropriate tray. Yes? I tried calling the phone number for Adobe Support and was informed the Adobe Readers do not have any phone support, only the Community Forum. BTW- that Brother Printer driver version was released in September 2016! I asked when it was updated last- waiting for answers to that.

Addendum: The Brother Support rep just called me this AM (9/19/18) and we reviewed everything. He remoted into my computer and checked everything.  Then he had me go into System Preferences/ Printers/Scanners/ and delete the Brother printer. Next: reset printer to 'Factory resets'.

We then started over- reloading the printer into my computer with the appropriate Brother Driver (Br- Script 3) -same one- resetting the printer settings-reconnecting Wifi and reassigning paper tray sizes. Then he had me use a 'test doc' that he had (instead of the one I'd been using) and VOILA! Printed like a charm-two different sizes! Don't ask me why the other 4 Brother tech support people didn't instruct me to do this.......But Problem SOLVED!

TOPICS
Macintosh, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 18, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The problem is the printer driver incorrectly handling the requests from MacOS or not showing the correct information to MacOS. Acrobat handles all requests via the MacOS API. Conforming printers will work. Reader and Pro are using the same print engine. They differ in what you can do with PDF files and the options you can set for printing.
    Sometimes it helps updating the printer drivers FROM the manufacturers web site. The OS does not always get the latest versions.
  2. Adobe has customer service: Contact Customer Care . You can connect via chat and/or phone. However free products are not eligible.
  3. You didn't specify the version of your Acrobat.
Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2018 1
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2018 2
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I am on the phone now with Brother Support, I have the identical printer you have and a Mac Pro.  If possible can you please call into Brother and request the name of the Rep that walked you through the process.  This is my third time calling into Brother I read your post and they are not able to walk me through.  I have deleted my Brother printer, then installed my Brother printer directly from Brother Support.  I have reassigned paper tray 1 and 2 with letter and  legalT paper.  This is vital for my business, if possible your assistance is much appreciated.  I do not have an Adobe paid product just the free version.   When I read your complaint I was so happy to know someone else is having this issue and was able to resolve.  Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later same issue... Did everything you said and nothing works...

MacAir 10.14.1

Adobe DC Pro 2019.021.20061

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pay Adobe and have the SAME problem on my HL-L6200DWT Brother, Was on the phone for TWO hours the other day.  Eventually Brother blamed Adobe. WTF. My next call will be a conference call with Brother and Adobe and let them figure it out!!! I need to print 135 page documents for work, I NEED this to work!!  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY SOLVED!

You have to rotate ALL the pages 180 degrees until they are upside down!

Then it will print correctly everytime!

Crazy, but it WORKS!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I have know that trick for over a year. It did work. For over a year. This past month after an update, everything went to poop again! I have reinstalled the script driver over and over again!!!!!  It is a night mare, I need to print 135 or more page documents at a time for real estate closings!!!  HELP. After 2 hours on the phone with Brother, they told me to call Adobe!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0