• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple form field with same name-global rename possible?

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello-

I am new to forms (obviously) I have created a 7 page form with over 250 check boxes. I did not know that I could not simply copy and paste the boxes. Now all my boxes populate the "check" if one is checked.  I now understand that they must all be renamed to prevent this.  Is there a way to globally change the filed names, rather than individually changing each one. Doing 250 individually almost is putting me over the edge.  Thanks!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

You can also recreate the check boxes, all with unique names using the "Create Multiple Copies" option on the Right Click menu when the form is in "Prepare Form" mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edye,

Sorry for the delay in response.

By default, there is no option to rename the fields in one go in Acrobat. However, I am moving this thread to JavaScript space you may wait for JavaScript experts to check if they have any suggestion for you.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can someone submit allowing this as a suggestion? I am miserable right now having to rename 200+ fields. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Crazy how I was just having this same issue with over 2k duplicated form fields (still unsolved). I'm trying to make a script that will do it for me and it's not going well. imo I shouldn't have to pay someone else for their script to get this either. It should come built-in with in the paid version of Acrobat. What the heck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this can be done using a script, like this one I've developed: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Rename Duplicate Fields to Unique Fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also recreate the check boxes, all with unique names using the "Create Multiple Copies" option on the Right Click menu when the form is in "Prepare Form" mode.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this option!  saved me so much time "Create multiple Copies'. never knew it existed and i have been struggling with the dumb duplication problem in adobe since 2008...  I know i'm an idiot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but get a error that reads: "Cannot create multiple copies of this selection. One or more fields in the selection have duplicates in this form." 

What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't create copies when the copies already exists in the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines