Highlighted

Mutually exclusive check boxes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been handed a document with a large amount of checkboxes (approx 300). Some of them have the same value so when you check one you check another one randomly.

I know I can start again and create multiple checkboxes, but the rows are varied in size so this is pretty time-consuming. Please could someone tell me if there is a quick way to create mutually exclusive values for each check box? Thank you.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mutually exclusive check boxes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been handed a document with a large amount of checkboxes (approx 300). Some of them have the same value so when you check one you check another one randomly.

I know I can start again and create multiple checkboxes, but the rows are varied in size so this is pretty time-consuming. Please could someone tell me if there is a quick way to create mutually exclusive values for each check box? Thank you.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using number values you must know that for the JavaScript engine "50" is different from "50.0" which is different from "50.00" and so on.

So you can trick the software into using identical values with mutually exclusive buttons.

😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I don't know anything about JavaScript, I am much less intelligent than you give me credit for! I have been highlighting all the checkboxes (which are named CheckBox1, CheckBox2 as created) and looking for a 'give individual value' button but there isn't one!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set export value under options tab in checkbox properties. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a really stupid question but what do I set it to? It says "yes" at the moment. Do I change it to "no"? What does that mean please? All these checkboxes are already in the document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set it to "no" but still if I check one box the next one is checked automatically.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set it to anything, for example 1,2 or a,b...etc

give checkboxes same name but diff export values and they will act as radio buttons.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thank you - wouldn't I need to set each export value to something different in order for them to behave differently? So I can't just select them all and change the export value?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select them all and change their value they will all have same value and you don't want that if you want them to act as radio buttons.

As I write above if you want them to act as radio buttons, give all checkboxes same name but different export value. For example: name your checkboxes "Box" but give one checkbox export value 1 give second checkbox  export value of 2...etc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks - I would still have to rename each one individually so this doesn't really help me in this instance but it will be useful to remember it for the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to rename the fields, or change their export values, but keep them a part of the same group? The former is complicated to achieve, the latter somewhat easier. Both require a custom-made script, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0