• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Navigation buttons not working once exported to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created some simple navigation buttons that take the reader to Next or Previous pages. Once I open the PDF in Acrobat on the iPad they don't work or respond as they have been set to do in the Events action from InDesign. I can only get the Event for: Go To Destination to work because I created a Bookmark.

I have read in some post related that the buttons may not work on iPad or other mobile devices. Is this true?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Of course Acrobat can do it. This is usually done via the "Execute a Menu Item" command, which would explain why it doesn't work on mobile devices, since the apps used there do not have the same menu structure as the non-mobile version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What command did you use, exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Created the buttons for Next and Previous
  2. Selected Buttons and Forms
  3. Changed type to "button"
  4. Event: On Release or Tap (as this will be viewed on an iPad)
  5. Actions: Go To Next/Previous Page

See screen capture for reference.

Screen capture of InDesign buttons paletteScreen capture of InDesign buttons palette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What app is this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use Acrobat for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure Acrobat can execute the action to Go To Next or Previous Page. I also think its bizarre that InDesign has the function available but mobile devices can't execute the commands. Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Acrobat can do it. This is usually done via the "Execute a Menu Item" command, which would explain why it doesn't work on mobile devices, since the apps used there do not have the same menu structure as the non-mobile version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insight. I didn't realize it would handle that command. I was really just hoping that I could apply the command in InDesign and it would work once saved out as an Interactive PDF. Thanks for your help! Much appreaciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is it safe to assume that this type of function/command cannot be executed on the iPad or any other mobile device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader for iOS and Android doesn't have this menu items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just with mobile devices. Any button actions created in InDesign DO NOT FUNCTION when saved to a PDF (Interactive PDF) and opened on Mac either. It's a joke. I haven't found anyone that it's worked for. Why offer a function if it's just for looks and has absolutely no real functionality? I'm sure someone at Adobe will have a 12-step workaround, but how about they just make their products actually work? I pay a LOT of money for mediocre products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buttons will work when you use correct events and actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The buttons work when viewed and used on a desktop or laptop but when viewed and used on a mobile device they didn't navigate to the next or previous pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, they DO NOT work when opened and viewed on a laptop either. ZERO functionality. Ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines