• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a little direction on how to group multiple objects using JavaScript?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to group multiple comments together using JavaScript.  I can do it manually - select objects, right-click, group - but cannot find any data on how to do it using JavaScript.  I would be appreciative if anyone could point me in the right direction on this.

I am aware of the current issue with grouped objects not staying together when being moved, but I still need to use the functionality.

Thanks!

Nick

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JavaScript API doesn't support grouping. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, there might be a different way to approach the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Joel, would something like this work:

var annots = this.getAnnots({nPage:0,});  // if working on page 1 (0-based index)
annots.page = 2;   //move all annotations to page 3

or 

annots.pageNum++;    // to move to the next page

If you want to get a specific group of annotations  you will need to specify by author, type , or creation date.

The example above just grabs all annotations found in the specified page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code is off but you're on the right track. If the goal is to move a set of selected annotations to a different page, you'd use this.selectedAnnots to get the annotation array of selected annotations but then you'd need to loop through each one and set the page parameter. You can't just set it from the array.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming this is static contents, it's not possible. If it's not, please specify what kind of "objects" you're referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the sticky notes considered static content?

I'm noticing that you're not even able to cut, copy , or paste them even using the GUI method; just select and drag them around in the same page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, sticky notes are comments (annotations). You should be able to cut, copy and paste them. Maybe they're locked, or you're selecting the text popup instead of the comment itself...

You can't drag them across pages, though. For that you have to cut and paste them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that I was trying to find the cut, copy, paste options using the "Comment" tool (which is wrong). Comment tool allows me to select all comments(annotations) from the navigation pane provided in the comments tool and then group all selected comments.

Switching to the "Prepare Form" tool provides the "Edit" option in the context menu, with provides another submenu to access the cut, copy, paste options.

I think I need more coffee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit comments in this way in the normal viewing mode. You don't need to go to Prepare Form mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Three distinct kinds of editable content:

1. Page content. Use Edit PDF, limited editor tool.

2. Form fields. Use Prepare Form tool.

3. Comments/annotations. Limited editing in normal mode, more options if you use Comment tool.

You cannot tell which kind of content you have in the general case. A piece of text could be any of these.

Some other content, e.g. signature appearances, is non editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines