• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to disable and and all signature functions.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working hard to get a new PDF file ready, the first user "breaks" it. Break is over-dramatic but they did something unexpected. Figures.

OK, what they did was they did some sort of signature graphic and started cramming it all over the place. They didn't put it in wrong spots, but I just want to NOT have the ability to do this at all. I also could NOT remove their signatures/initials once placed, or at least I could not figure out how to, at least not during the extreme stretching of my limited resource of time. People also don't listen to instructions like "Do not do this" kind of stuff. So, I've seen all sorts of things, like them removing all the automated pricing entries and then demanding "Free enrollment" because the fields weren't read only.  I will say combating undesired behaviors have caused me to learn a LOT about Acrobat Pro and Java. It's even to the point where we have to sit next to the person to fill out the form. But since I can't do that, the other people still let the applicants have free reign. Our requirement is "fill out the application, all signatures and initials must be done by hand". It even says so on the application PDF. There isn't an exception to this policy. If this also means that it disables sign into Adobe" for purposes of getting digital signatures, that's fine as well.

So, in short: No signatures, no initials. Also, I'm using an older version of Acrobat Pro. I am upgrading in about 10 days. If I have to wait, then so be it. I am using version Acrobat Pro 9 right now. We do use the latest Acrobat Reader for normal PDF handling, including filling out this applications.

Thank you for any insight that can be provided.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms , Security digital signatures and esignatures , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply an open- and edit-security policy to the file, with unique passwords and disable any changes to it.

For extra protection you can also sign it yourself. Any changes made to it will invalidate your signature and you'll know the file has been tempered with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the only one with Acrobat Pro and the only one who knows how to use it. I'm not worried about someone editing the PDF. I just don't want an applicant to be able to click that little pen icon and draw themselves a signature and/or initial and start dropping it all over the document.

I certainly see your perspective. I just wasn't expecting someone to use that function. I didn't even know it existed. I'm learning about all this stuff as it happens. I still have a lot to do on the current form to make a lot of other fields read only. It's sufficient for production now. I will be doing refinement this week to replace quick work with something more along the lines of what I want to do, mostly have "this field = that field value" stuff in order to have the info in there and marked read only.

I don't really want to crank downs security on the file from the perspective of editing the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to if you want to prevent them from adding comments to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my current version of Acrobat Pro(v9) is too old. All the more reason to update.

The current version gives me options that are either too restrictive(can't fill in the form) or not restrictive enough. The options that let me fill in the form also allow comments. So, I'm thinking that this version of Acrobat Pro I am using can't get met to here where I need to be. I'm not trying to stay on version 9, it's just what I have to work with at the moment. If I have to upgrade then I will. It is my plan so I will stick with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried applying a certification signature with form fill-ins allowed but arbitrary annotations disallowed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines