• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Option to Print on Both Sides of Paper?

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no option to "Print on Both Sides of Paper".Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 11.51.30 AM.png

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

CJ

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 11.45.45 AM.png

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

This feature is very dependent upon the printer and one needs to access the properties of the printer. Click on the "Advanced" button next to the printer name to bring the operating systems interface pop-up for the printer and set the printer's option for duplex printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

This worked with my Brother 5200DW

• CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS > RIGHT CLICK YOUR PRINTER. 
  • Choose PRINTER PROPERTIES (not to be confused with 'printer preferences', or 'properties' at bottom). 
  • Choose the Tab 'DEVICE SETTINGS'
  • Under 'INSTALLABLE OPTIONS' section is a line item 'DUPLEX SETTINGS'.    Change it to INSTALLED
  • Click APPLY.

I reopened my PDF and the option was available under the PAGE HANDLING AND SIZING section of the dialog box.

As I said, this worked for me.    But, I did find one other

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU smart people!!

Worked great, ahhhhh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find such  an option as "duplex" in my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you saved me alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for my HP LaserJet Pro. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem since I bought my new Windows 11 PC. Couldn't figure it out. This worked perfectly and I now have the option again. Thank you so mucb!! Such a simple solution yet so not obvious. Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried EVERYTHING to get the Two-sided turned on. As you can tell from my first screenshot, the option under just the "Layout" tab is turned off. However, if you see my second screenshot, under the "Layout/Finish" page, the 2-sided option is selected. I'm not sure how to remedy this and it is causing a massive headache. PLEASE HELP!!!Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 4.36.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-22 at 4.42.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The triangle with the exclamation point may indicate a problem with your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is just informing me that the paper is low in another tray. Doesn't have an affect on this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your 2 screen captures, I'm not able to see the problem. Looks like that you have 2-sided printed selected in the second screen capture, correct?

Your printer settings dialogue box is not controlled by InDesign or any other software on your computer. It comes from the printer manufacturer.

If you don't see all the controls you expect for that particular printer, then try any of the following:

• Download and install the new printer driver from the manufacturer's website for that exact printer model.
  • Some printers come with several versions of drivers, such as PostScript and PCL (non-PostScript). You'll find different options are available depending on which version of the driver you choose to print to. If it's available, I always recommend using the PostScript versions.
|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive contacted support, and i have been told that if you want 2 sided printing, you have to pay for it and its £15 per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do 2 sided or duplex printing your printer needs to the equipment installed to handle the paper correctly, have the needed printer intalled and have the correct print driver for Acrobat/Reader. Adobe cannot provide this, it must be done by the manufacturer or you or a third party may need to create the needed files.

You can print the even sides, rotate the printed sheets, reinsert and print the odd sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was able to select two-sided printing in my print dialogue box until yesterday.  now the option is greyed out.  why can i no longer select two-sided printing?  what can i do to re-enable this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lorraineb,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the print window where you are getting the greyed out option? To post a screenshot, please refer to https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

What is the version of Acrobat installed? To identify, refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat installed, check for any pending updates from help menu>check for updates, reboot the machine and check.

Install the latest firmware/drivers for the printer.

What is the version of OS installed?

You may refer to the help article and try the suggestions Print double-sided | Adobe Acrobat, Reader DC

Thanks.

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Anand.  Here's the info you asked for...

I'm using macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3

and I have Acrobat Pro DC version Continuous Release 2019.010.20098

Here's the print dialogue box I get if I print an email:

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.26.39 PM.png

Here are the print dialogue boxes I get when I try to print a .pdf:

Note that the box to the right opens after I select the (blue button) printer option on the bottom of the box on the left.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.47.27 PM.png

I have a new HP OfficeJet 3830 series which has duplexing capability.  Keep in mind I've been printing two-sided no problem until just the other day.  I've read through the article link you supplied.  I don't see anything there that matches what I'm experiencing, and I have re-started my computer and printer.   I've  tried deleting and re-adding the printer in my printer & scanner preferences.  I tried adding it with the HP driver, as well as the AirPrint driver.   I tried looking through my acrobat preferences.  I'm totally stumped.  If you or anyone who reads this is able to shed light on this frustrating situation, I'd be grateful for any input.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everything was working before but all of a sudden it doesn't, then you have to be able to identify if this was caused by a recent unattended update that took place in your system.

Another troubleshooting idea is to create a new user profile in your system and try printing from that newly created user account in your macOS.

You also didn't mention if you try to repair the Adobe Acrobat installation.

If you haven't try repairing yet your current Adobe Acrobat installation, open Adobe Acrobat, click help, then Repair Installation

You can also try the following additional suggestions:

• Open the same file in another computer with Acrobat that is using a different OS(like MS Windows) and see if the same problem manifests.

• Identify if this is only happening  with just  this file  that you are trying to print, or, if you lost the double sided printing ability for every other PDF and for any other application installed in your system when you try to print with them

• You can always use time machine to go back and select a  good known  working state of your machine

• OR, try to identify the update that caused the misconfiguration and roll back or remove the conflictive update.

• In addition to the other suggestions about reinstalling drivers from the manufacturer's website, see if you also skipped updating the firmware and installing the full feature software that not necessarily was included with your printsr when you purchased it

• Check if saving this document to a MS Word .docx file type then convert back to PDF would do any difference when you try to print again

• Refry the document; Save As postscript file and then convert back to PDF ,  or just print this file  to PDF directly and reopen it and try again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, with Windows X, and a Brother DCP-L2540DW series Printer.  I found out the problem was the printer duplex option has not been turned on when installed.  So the solution was to go to Settings -> Devices -> Printers -> Choose the printer -> Manage printer -> then printer properties -> Device Settings -> turn the duplex option to "installed"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending upon how your printer was set up on your Windows computer, you might have to install the printer's specific drivers to get all of its features available to you in the print dialogue box, including duplexing.

Visit the printer manufacturer's website, look under support, downloads, or something similar, and download and install the drivers for your model of printer.

Remember that printing options are controlled by the printer driver, not any software program including Adobe's. That includes the range of pages to print, scaling, and duplexing.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure that make sense.  In my case, everything was already installed, but for some reason the duplex option was not turned on, and I just had to manually turn it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally fixed the duplex printing issue ! Someone said (correctly) that the issue is printer specific - but this wasn't helpful in fixing it.  I have a Brother MFC-L5900DW.  This works for any Brother but should be instructive for anyone.  See this link which is helpful. 

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/143747/~/missing-the-option-to-print-on-both-si...

Basically, you don't see option for double-sided (duplex) printing because it's likely you are using a generic driver for your printer (that was included with Windows).  This WILL work for basic printing but doesn't include advanced options like duplex printing.  To fix, you basically go Control Panel -> View Devices and Printers (under Hardware and Sound) -> then scroll down to Printers, find the Printer you are using, right-click and delete.  This removes the generic driver.  

Then go to the web site for support for your printer manufacturer. (For me, it was support.brother.com)  There should be some kind of search for your printer model.  At that point, you should see different download options.  If avail, I suggest downloading something like "Full Driver & Software Package".  This will usually launch an executable that will basically do everything for you.  Alternatively, you should see something on that download list which will be just the Driver.  If you are more advanced, you can use this.

Now after you do all this ... close Adobe and re-open it.  Go back to Print.  And you should see far more options than before (including printing on two-sides).  If you want even more, click on Print -> Properties.  If you've followed the steps correctly, you will see something that looks very different than the generic option.  This Printer Properties page will likely be built by your Printer manufacturer and will have their name and icon and many options. 

Hope this helps ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're describing is known as the print server Advanced Configuration Options if in a MS Windows machine.

On Linux and other Unix-like operating systems, such as macOS, this print server is  known as the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) , which was developed by Apple, but is Open Source software, and you can download and install for free.

Every OS provide users with graphical and command line tools to edit printing configuration  preferences and manage printers in a centralized convenient way.

In the case of CUPS  it can  be accessed via telnet or web browser using Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) .

You type in the URL bar of your browser:

http://localhost: 631 

In the case for those of us who also use MS Windows you need to go to Control Panel-->> Hardware and Sound-->>View Devices and Printers.

Left-click once with your mouse to select the default printer icon.

Look a few lines up in that window, and you'll notice that a new toolbar becomes visible.

Click once with your mouse  on the label "Printer Server properties".

The Print Server Properties dialogue box will open.

You'll be setting up your form in thr "Forms" tab.

Below the list box of forms presets, there is a greyed out blank " Form Name"

Tick the checkbox below that blank "Create a new Form" and you will be able to assign a template name, and down below, there is a section "Form description (measurements)".

There is where you input the correct paper size, and the printer area margins. When you're done editing these preferences click on the "Save Form" button. Then click close.

Go back to Acrobat.

Click on Print, and then click on the "Properties" button.

This will open upthe "Adobe PDF Document Properties" dialogue box.

Click on the "Paper/Quality" tab, below in that box follow by clicking on the "Advanced" button.

We're almost there!

This will open another dialogue box " Adobe PDF Converter Advanced Options".

Below the section "Paper/Output" select from the Paper Size dropdown menu the customized form that you created earlier, and click OK to close that window, click OK to close Document Properties window.

Last, click on "Print".

Now you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the kindness of your reply, but this doesn't work.  There is no option on any dropdown, tab, or anywhere else.  Word has no problem giving me an "print double-sided" option for the same printer.  Why is everything so HARD to find on Adobe products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brother  L2520

CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS > RIGHT CLICK YOUR PRINTER.

Tab > Device Settings > Installable Option > Instaled

OK

After reopen Abobe Acrobar Reader 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines