• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

non printing elements in a PDF - How to design this?

Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First: I want only to find out how to design such a case as laid out. I will find a workaround to get the document into a correct print. The document is electronically signed, so I cannot examine it as I would like.

When I print the document, information that is on Screen is not printed. I suspect it is because it's a form and the form elements have been defined as non-printable.

Is that a correct assumption or are there also different other ways to create this effect? I suppose the creator has designed the document such that it is immediately clear that the document is a print and not the original document file. That wouldn't disturb me, but unfortunately, some important elements are left out also.

Screen document:

Abambo_0-1615565984905.png

Print:

Abambo_1-1615566028625.png

The document contains several other sections like this with real information on, I've chosen this excerpt where no confidential information is to be found...

You see immediately that the field indicators (4), (5), (6) and (7) are simply missing on the print and would need to be printed on a preprinted form (which we have) and then scanned to a PDF document, so that we can send out something that can be printed correctly. Otherwise, only the raw data can be printed...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer
TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be that the document use a non-printable background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be layer properties (view but do not print), although some PDF viewers would ignore the layer properties.

It's also possible there is an overprinting white element on top of the background, the screen view is correctly showing the background, but your printer is ignoring the overprint and knocking out the background. Do you see a print setting for Simulate overprinting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers so far.

Hi @Luke Jennings3,

I've checked for layers. There is none. I've also checked for overprint. That does not change.

Hi @Bernd Alheit,

Is there a possibility for me to check for the non-printable background? How do I create such a background?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Tools > Edit PDF:

To check it use Background > Update...

to add a background use Background > Add...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To check whether these are non-printing form fields to go to Prepare Form mode and you'll see if there are indeed fields. If so, you could go to their Properties and change their appearance from "Visible but doesn't Print" to just "Visible", under the General tab:

try67_0-1615626770016.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines