• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not sure if a placeholder can be put in a form field

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if I have used the correct terminology for what I want to do.

At the top of the Adobe page there is a search button with the text 'Search this community'.

This text disappears when you start to enter a search text, and this is what I want to add to a text form field in Acrobat. i.e. I want to have a short piece of text to describe what information should be put in the text box rather than having the title next to the text box.

Can anybody tell me if this is possible and how I can do it?

I am using Acrobat 9 Pro in Windows 10.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you try67, that is just what I was looking for (if only I had used the search term of instructional text rather tha placeholder!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature that you're inquiring about is referred to as a "tooltip".

When you add a tooltip to form field object, it will display a yellow banner with the instructions or text that you need to be displayed, and it will pop everytime the user of the form points or hovers with the mouse cursor over that field object.

To add a tooltip all you need to do is open the "Prepare Form" tool, insert a texfield object, then right-click on it with your mous pointing device, and select "Properties" from the context menu.

The Properties dialogue window will open up, where you can type in the desired fieldname for that object, and right below that blank you may type in the text for your tooltip.

A much more preferred approach would be to employ JavaScript with customized app alerts or custom dialogue boxes which can interact with the users as they fill out certain portion of that PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my reply, seems like I was typing at the same time as try67.  I also misunderstood what you were really inquiring about and he provided the correct answer for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines