• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Novice: How to prevent Acrobat from merging text blocks together?

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I am creating a document in Acrobat Reader PRO and wish find out how to prevent program from merging text blocks.
Because of this merging, I cant make fine alignment adjustments anymore.
I add text, which is contained in a bounding box, then I add another text and if they are close together or their bounding box overlap soon after they got merged and I can't move them independently.

Thanks a lot,
Artur
TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

You can't, because there are actually no text blocks in a PDF. Every time you go to edit it looks at all the text on the page, and guesses where it would be convenient to have text blocks. Next time it has to guess again, and if you move blocks close together they will probably look like one block. Your talk of fine adjustments suggests you are going far beyond what Acrobat editing is for (fixing minor issues). You should keep editing the original and re-make the PDF each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

I knew it couldn't be Acrobat Reader. As the screen shot shows, whatever app you think it is, it is actually Acrobat Pro DC. But that was what I was assuming. My answer applies: give up using Acrobat right now and use something better suited to your task. Something of this degree of precision CAN be made in Word but InDesign might suit you better. There's no precision to Acrobat, it's all guesswork, every time you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't, because there are actually no text blocks in a PDF. Every time you go to edit it looks at all the text on the page, and guesses where it would be convenient to have text blocks. Next time it has to guess again, and if you move blocks close together they will probably look like one block. Your talk of fine adjustments suggests you are going far beyond what Acrobat editing is for (fixing minor issues). You should keep editing the original and re-make the PDF each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no "original" then you need to decide what app to actually design your work in. The beauty of PDF is that this can be pretty much ANY app. You don't have to learn a new app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create my CV from scratch in acrobat reader.

Attaching screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ceksLmQPTvb7AmGHutbWa-EIWnqXzE47

Originally header was separate form the rest of text. Now its merged.. i csnt work like that. I need to be able to edit stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not a good choice. I suggest for a CV you use Word or Google Docs. Either can make PDF instantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I create my CV from scratch in acrobat reader."

Acrobat Reader can't create PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader DC Pro can. You create blank and add content and then save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Share a screenshot please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew it couldn't be Acrobat Reader. As the screen shot shows, whatever app you think it is, it is actually Acrobat Pro DC. But that was what I was assuming. My answer applies: give up using Acrobat right now and use something better suited to your task. Something of this degree of precision CAN be made in Word but InDesign might suit you better. There's no precision to Acrobat, it's all guesswork, every time you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC Pro is not Acrobat Reader?

Confusing naming.

I bet you are right about inDesign and Word.

What Acrobat DC Pro is for then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat Reader DC is a free PDF viewer.

Acrobat Pro DC is a professional PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines