• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object Properties window live for some annotations, not usable for others

Participant ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document in which certain areas need to be highlighted in order to explain how each particular highlighted area is relevant or not to an example teacher observation process to give users an idea of how the document should be used as an observation tool.

I am using three different highlight colors for sighted users. Each highlight/comment requires alt text for annotations that screen readers can read (as I understand it).

And, although the only difference between some of the highlighted text is the highlight color, the Object Properties window is greyed-out and restricting me from being able to add alt text to the annotations and causing the document to fail the PAC3 test (Error: Annotation is not nested inside an "Annot" structure element).

Why is the Object Properties window is "live" for some annotations and not others?

Thanks!
TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where (in what app) and how did you add those highlights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is in Acrobat. I created the highlights with the Acrobat highlighter and attached sticky note comments to them. 

Thanks for any insight you may have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, you want your annotations to be accessible to screen readers? I'm not sure how to do that. A possible work around would be to use an Acrobat preflight profile to flatten the annotations into the page contents, create buttons (either from the highlighted areas, or invisible buttons on top of the type) and have the button show the comment (upon roll over). I don't know if this will work as an accessible PDF, and also, the user would need to open the PDF in Acrobat or Reader for the buttons to work.

Flatten comments to page contents.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke. This solution is not ideal as I don't want there to be added interactivity for someone with a screen reader to use the document.

The problem I'm having is that some of the annotations are grey-out and not allowing me to assign alt text while others are not and I can. There seems to be no reason why the same exact kinds of elements are allowing me the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you able to share a document or sample document that shows the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Do the screenshots I shared help at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not really, they do show what the problem is, but without seeing the document, I don't know what the cause could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for being willing to investigate. I've created a doc that I can share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In Acrobat DC ( sorry the only version I have installed ), I am able to add alt text? which version of Acrobat are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ollo. I use Acrobat Pro DC. 

There are only two instances of highlighted text that won't allow me to add the alt text to the annotations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems like the two annotations that were failing were simply not actually tagged as an annotation. Not sure why but I re-applied the comment and the annotations appeared and I was able to add the alt text as needed and now it passes. Here's a link to the fixed file https://shared-assets.adobe.com/.../e4920fc8-7b2a-4891....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa. What a mind-boggle!

I had started from scratch more than once and reapplied all comments and kept having the same issue; I also deleted and reapplied the comments and didn't have any luck. I literally just did this again on the version prior to the one I shared and it didn't work and then tried it with the version I shared, and it did! 

So there's no explanation but there's sort of a solution! Thank you times a million, Chad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad that we found a way to fix THAT problem. 

And, now that I'm able to add alt text to all of the annotations, I learned that I'm not actually supposed to! LOL What a learning curve! I bow dow not you masters before me!

Again, thanks to everyone who offered help here! Appreciate you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WRONG screenshots uploaded! Proper screenshots for reference attached here. 🙂

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 2.20.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 2.23.31 PM.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines