• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCR capabilities

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just subscribed to Adobe Acrobat PRO with big expectations on its OCR capabilities, but instead I am getting dissapointed fast. When aplying "enhace" to an existing B&W scanned .pdf  document, Acrobat does recognize the text, but I was expecting that it woud make possible to completely substitute the old text by the new version. However, the old text remains there completely uneditable and unremovable. I have being playing with some of the settings like "background Removal" > high, but no change is noticable.  I would apreciate any small advice in case I am missing something. Thanks!

Funn5C09_0-1612989736932.png

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Hi Funn5C09,

It looks like you have the 3rd selection in the Settings for Recognizing text. One place you can locate this is if you go to the Edit mode and click on the Aa Recognize Text (in the rectangle), then click on Settings (in the oval) which brings you the place to set your options (dashed rectangle).

2021-02-10_17-05-11.png

Specifically, the difference between Searchable and Searchable (exact) is that the latter provides maximum fidelity to the original and may take more time (the plus and minus). My guess

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Funn5C09,

It looks like you have the 3rd selection in the Settings for Recognizing text. One place you can locate this is if you go to the Edit mode and click on the Aa Recognize Text (in the rectangle), then click on Settings (in the oval) which brings you the place to set your options (dashed rectangle).

2021-02-10_17-05-11.png

Specifically, the difference between Searchable and Searchable (exact) is that the latter provides maximum fidelity to the original and may take more time (the plus and minus). My guess is that you have the third option selected which synthesizes a new custom font that closely approimates the original. 

So try the first or selected option and see how that works.

BTW, getting a GREAT scan is part of getting better OCR results. You may want to go through this blog I wrote for Adobe on how to get a good result. You might find something of value.

http://photosbycoyne.com/Gary's_Help/Scanning/clean-scanning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, thank you very much for your useful tips. It helped me a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

Do you know if we can do OCR on google drive files using the app add-on?
I have the premium account of adobe and even logged in, it does not appear an option to transforme scanned files in texts.

Best,

Kah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1, I do not know as I've never done it.

However, as long as a file is opened IN Acrobat, it should be able to OCR the file.

So, if you are looking at a file that's IN google drive, that's not going to work.

Also, OCR can only be done on file images that are in Acrobat. If you scan a page and open that up in Acrobat, if you click anywere in the document, the page will turn blue because the whole thing is an image, not a document that you can select text. If however, you open up a document that you can select text, than you cannot OCR that document because it already has searchable text. So, if you open up a document in google drive and get that document into Acrobat, and you can select text, you're done and you do not need to OCR that document. In fact, you can't because it's already text.!

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary, tks for your quick response.

That is sad... My case is for files that are IN google drive.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC provided by the company I work for; however, it has been of little help since all hundres of files I have to access every day are scanned files Google Drive.

My team and I work with a lot of sensitive documents, so we must always edit them online and also we need to do a lot of research without downloading them. When I use the Adobe add-on I can see some functions to split the file, make commnents and delete pages indeed, but no OCR reading.

Is there any cloud techonolgy available that allow us to use OCR without requing us to download the file?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As far as I know any OCR functionality requires a copy of the document, not a link to a document. 

Acrobat does have a web version where you can send a JPG or such to and have the document OCRed but again, that means that you need to send somthing TO the web version of Acrobat for it to have somehting to work on.

You could take a screenshot of the document BUT that violates your need to now download the document and also will be of such low resolution as to limit the quality of the OCR.

And I gather that the documents you are working on are images of pages, not selectable text?

Since this is your job, have you asked your supervisors and/or boss and asked them how they think it can be done?

Sorry but it's beyond my pay grade (and I do not get paid so that leaves a lot of territory).

Best & good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines