• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCR not working with Acrobat Pro X 10.1.2

Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with windows 7 SP 1.

When I try to use the OCR, I got the following error "Unable to locate the paper Capture recognition service.  ..."

I reinstalled  Adobe Acrobat Pro X and the update but still get the same error.

I search for drs832.dll on my C: and found it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture\

Thanks for any advice to correct the problem

François

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

We finally discovered that it was somehow related to an email management client that we recently pushed out. However we have a fix, maybe it will work for you? It seems similar to the other fixes I've seen but there's more files to copy. Try this out:

Copy C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\plug-ins\PaperCapture\* to the parent directory C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\plug-ins

For Acrobat X, the path would be acrobat 10.0.

This seems to work for both versions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in my organisation.

Need an answer from Adobe !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy drsd832.dll to \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\
  1. Go to \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture
  2. Right-click drs32.dll and choose Copy.
  3. Go to \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\
  4. Right-click in the window and choose Paste.

Please follow the above steps to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion.

Copying the dll does not change my problem, but I can describe the error more thoroughly

If I open acrobat pro from the start menu and then open the file I want run the OCR with, there is no problem.

If I open acrobat with a double click (or with the right click menu) once the file in the Windows Explorer is selected I got the error message…

Is this a bug ? It is, isn’t ?

François

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to reproduce the issue with either double click or opening Acrobat from options available in context menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing a little further, I recognize that the problem occurs only if the file is on a server access through our network. On my C: disk double clicking, our opening adobe Pro X does not change anything.

The file must be on a share
Home<file:///
Home> or
common<file:///
common

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that this has something to do with Protected View? To test, you can turn it off temporarily under Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced). If this is the problem, then you'll need to add your host to the Priviledged Locations under the same Security (Enhanced) preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried to fiddle around with the security settings but without changing anything.

François

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue with a handful of users, (this likely is affecting everyone but not many people in my org. use OCR. I replicated the issue on a brand new virtual machine) and it just started today. Really need a fix for this.. Here are my details:

-Win 7 x64 Sp1

-the .dll copy fix does not work.

-user is a local administrator, UAC is turned off.

-deselecting Enhanced Security does not work.

-occurs with Acrobat 9, Acrobat X 10.0.0, and Acrobat 10.1.4

-only happens when opening a file from the network using Windows Explorer.

-if I open Acrobat first and use that to browse for the file, I can OCR.

-if the file is located on the local drive, I can OCR.

I tried contacting Adobe support and they told me that it was a network permissions issue. That doesn't make sense..if this isn't a bug then I don't know what is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is not reproducible at my end.

Are you able to do other operations on the file like rotate, delete page, extract page, add comment etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, all those features seem to be working fine. As of now I have called Adobe Technical Support and am waiting for a call back from someone, however it's been a couple days now..

They had to transfer me to a different department since we deploy this software with volume license keys; not sure if that changes anything for you, but it seemed to for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post back when you get an answer. I have the exact same problem with Acrobat 9 and 10 (CS5 and 6 Master Collection) except no pdf will OCR regardless of location. This used to work (CS5 and Vista 64) and ever since I updated to CS6/Win7 this happens. I went back to Acro 9 to see if that was the issue and still the same issue. Same setup on a laptop and everything works fine (?)

Win7 Pro 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try reinstalling Acrobat once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying that right now. I uninstalled Acrobat 9 and I don't have 10 on the machine. Ran the Reader/Acrobat Cleaner before the reinstall. Stand by...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We finally discovered that it was somehow related to an email management client that we recently pushed out. However we have a fix, maybe it will work for you? It seems similar to the other fixes I've seen but there's more files to copy. Try this out:

Copy C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\plug-ins\PaperCapture\* to the parent directory C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\plug-ins

For Acrobat X, the path would be acrobat 10.0.

This seems to work for both versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Copy C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\plug-ins\PaperCapture\* to the parent directory C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\plug-ins

For Acrobat X, the path would be acrobat 10.0."

IT WORKS!!! Hey thanks dodland, now all I have to do is get my CS6 MC installer to take less than X hours to install just a version of Acrobat X that will recognize my MC serial number! I installed a version of Acrobat 10 from the MC extracted files and ran it as a trial, no go on the OCR. Then I did your copy suggestion and all is well. I've copied this fix as a text file to live with my MC install files. Now I just have to get a activated version running.

Thanks again, as I was considering wiping the entire drive just to fix this single issue and that would not be fun...

TLL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, dodland! In our case (x64, AcroPro10) this has never worked on this system, and copying the files did the trick! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the perseverance and for posting the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this method for fixing OCR works with adobe acrobat XI Pro trial version as well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried replicating the scenario specified by you but things did work fine for me.

There might be a possiblity that the files needed by OCR to run successfully were not copied properly or were re-located by mistake after installtion. Please make sure that you have the files highlighted in the snapshots at the depicted locations.

PaperCapture.pngPlugin.png

Thanks,

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines