Highlighted

Odd behavior of form reset button

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help needed! I have a document of 40 pages, divided into sections A, B, C, . . . up to N. Each section has a reset button designed to clear the fields within that section. They work as expected -- except that when you clear any of the sections, you also clear section M. What the hell is going on here? Every field in the document has a unique name. 

I'm running Acrobat Pro DC on Windows 10.

Topics

PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Odd behavior of form reset button

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help needed! I have a document of 40 pages, divided into sections A, B, C, . . . up to N. Each section has a reset button designed to clear the fields within that section. They work as expected -- except that when you clear any of the sections, you also clear section M. What the hell is going on here? Every field in the document has a unique name. 

I'm running Acrobat Pro DC on Windows 10.

Topics

PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very hard to say without seeing the actual file... Can you share it with us?

You can attach it to the original message using the tiny paperclip icon at the bottom when you edit it, or upload it to a file-sharing website (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud, etc.), generate a share link and then post it here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, try67. I've attached it to my original comment. The section that keeps getting cleared out is "Form D1."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, try67. A colleague with a different version of Acrobat was able to see what was going on. For some reason, in my version, the Edit button within the reset button's Actions dialog box wasn't working. (It didn't show me what fields were currently selected, but rather showed all fields as selected, like when you first go to set the action.) With a functioning "Edit" button, he was able to see that all the D1 fields were selected, despite my numerous attempts to clear out the button's properties and start over. I am now seeing if I can update my Acrobat to permit me to edit these damn hell ass buttons.

Thank you for taking a look, though. I really appreciate it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a script, instead of relying on the fields selection dialog (which is indeed buggy).

The basic code to achieve it is the following:

this.resetForm(["Field A", "Field B", "Field E"]);

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
erobi LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elegant. Filing that away for the future. This was a huge time-suck. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF