• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

open a FileAttachment type annot via JavaScript

Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I open a FileAttachment type annot via JavaScript?
I read all the annot proprieties but I don't understand which one I have to use for opening such as a double-click on the icon!!!

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the doc.openDataObject method, but only for attachments that are PDFs. An exception will be thrown if you attempt to use it to lauch other file types, which is a good thing for security reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer,

so it is not possible?

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my previous response was not entirely correct. You can attempt to launch a file attachment using the doc.exportDataObject JavaScript method and include the nLaunch parameter, but there are certain restrictions as documented here: https://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/acrobat_dc_sdk/2015/HTMLHelp/#t=Acro12_MasterBook%2FJS_API_Acro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this method, but a FileAttachment type annot is not looked upon as an object, so this method can't be used!

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file attachment annotations cannot be accessed from the regular data object methods. This is because the file in the annot is not in the name tree, where all the regular attachments live. The embedded file stream is in the actual annotation. 

So, the file attachment annot has a property named "attachment", which is the actual file attachment. The content of this file is available through the undocumented "contentStream" property of the attachment property. 

Streams in Acrobat JavaScript have a "read" function for reading the raw file bytes as hex digits. Use the util function to convert to text. Like this, for a selected file attachment annot:

var strFileText = util.stringFromStream(selectedAnnots[0].attachment.contentStream);

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry for this late reply, but I just got the notification...
Since this is an undocumented property, do you have any idea what the attachment.contentStream feedback represents.

Can some information be usable in JavaScript?
Below is the feedback of a test.

%PDF-1.6
%
7 0 obj
<</Linearized 1/L 4797/O 9/E 725/N 1/T 4512/H [ 422 118]>>
endobj

10 0 obj
<</DecodeParms<</Columns 3/Predictor 12>>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<8BD9D490C05043E8BFEEFA3F4DFBEAEF><1D69BE13C95A45A3886378EFA78CEE33>]/Index[7 5]/Info 6 0 R/Length 30/Prev 4513/Root 8 0 R/Size 12/Type/XRef/W[1 2 0]>>stream
hbbd`b`ab`ab'h`
true

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That content stream contains the whole of a normal PDF. I don't think there is any JavaScript method to say "open this string as a PDF file", and security restrictions stop the obvious solution "Write this string to a file, then open this as a PDF file."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubted a bit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually there is a way to do this. Use the content stream to create a regular attachment, then open it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an example for this.  I am trying to save annotation file attachments and am having a lot of trouble finding information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The user can simple double click on the file attachment annotation to open or save it.  This is the simplest solution since saving a file attachment with code also requires the user's help, except under special circumstances. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines