• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open type fonts gets listed as Type 1 font

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question regarding fonts: I have created a PDF document with an open type font embedded in it. When I check the fonts in Acrobat, the font is listed as Type 1 font and shows the red a-symbol (see photo and pardon the text in Finnish). If I edit this document in Acrobat and add another open type font, that too gets listed as Type 1 font, but with different encoding and with an F-symbol.

Now what is going on here: why do these open type fonts show as Type 1 fonts. Does this mean that these fonts are included in the group of fonts that will not be supported after early 2023?

screen_capture.JPG

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the delay n response.

As you are asking about why the open type fonts listed as type 1 font in Acrobat, please refer to the information provided by Dov in the following community thread with a similar discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-sdk/why-do-opentype-fonts-appears-as-type-1-fonts-in-the-acrobat-font-list/m-p/8121785#M84733.

Check if the information provided there answers your question.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Confirming @Test Screen Name's responses.

(1)  Yes, you will be able to continue editing text in Acrobat that is formatted with Type 1 fonts after the 2023 date, regardless of whether the host operating system discontinues any or full support for Type 1 fonts. Acrobat does have a private font directory.

(2)  Accessibility has nothing to do with the font type. The encoding vector embedded in the PDF file is key here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the delay n response.

As you are asking about why the open type fonts listed as type 1 font in Acrobat, please refer to the information provided by Dov in the following community thread with a similar discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-sdk/why-do-opentype-fonts-appears-as-type-1-fonts-in-the-acro....

Check if the information provided there answers your question.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Couple of things remain unclear to me. Adobe says that: "Type 1 data embedded in file types such as EPS and PDF will be unaffected by this change, as long as they are placed for display or printing as graphic elements. If those files are opened for editing in applications such as Illustrator or Photoshop, they will trigger a “Missing fonts” error."

1)What will happen in 2023 if I open a PDF file with type 1 fonts for editing in Acrobat Pro? Will I be able to edit the document without a problem? 

2) In 2023, will there be a problem with accessibility with said files and fonts? Will the screen reader programs be able to read the documents aloud without a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"1)What will happen in 2023 if I open a PDF file with type 1 fonts for editing in Acrobat Pro? Will I be able to edit the document without a problem? " I doubt Adobe have really considered this. The Acrobat team don't tend to fall in with the rest of Creative Cloud.However... the question would be, even if Acrobat was willing to edit it, how would you install a type 1 font for editing purposes? The chances are (but we don't know) that Mac and Windows will also give up on the format as a font file format.

"2) In 2023, will there be a problem with accessibility with said files and fonts? Will the screen reader programs be able to read the documents aloud without a problem?" Not likely to be any connection. Reading out loud and extracting text do not reference embedded fonts, whatever kind they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming @Test Screen Name's responses.

(1)  Yes, you will be able to continue editing text in Acrobat that is formatted with Type 1 fonts after the 2023 date, regardless of whether the host operating system discontinues any or full support for Type 1 fonts. Acrobat does have a private font directory.

(2)  Accessibility has nothing to do with the font type. The encoding vector embedded in the PDF file is key here.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder how they came up with this great idea. Lets tell the world that Type 1 fonts are dead but oh if you use OpenType PS fonts were going to list them in PDF files at Type 1??? No confusion there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to repeat any of Dov's excellent answer linked to, but I'm going to make another point: type 1 fonts in PDF are not going away. This is made clear in every Adobe announcement about type 1 font support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines