Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizer database is damaged in acrobat 9 Std

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed acrobat 9 standard.

When I open a PDF the program works fine, including editing fields etc.

When i close any PDF this error message comes up.

The Organizer database is damaged and will be reset the next time Acrobat is launched. Quit the application and close any currently opened web browsers

I am not sure what the organizer database is, but I see others have had this problem in other versions of this program.

What is the Organizer database? Any help would be appreciated

I tried to repair installation under help and it did not help.

SYSTEM:
Vista Home Premium SP1
Core 2 with 4 GIGs memory
Adobe acrobat Std 9.0.0

david.goldstein@yahoo.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2008 Dec 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Close Acrobat.

Go to your User directory in Vista using Windows Explorer. Under that directory, follow this path:

AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0\

Then in there, if there's an Organizer90 file, delete it and then restart Acrobat. Acrobat will recreate the database.

IF IT's not there, like my case, this is how I fixed it: I created a folder called Organizer90 under the 9.0 directory, started Acrobat, opened a document, closed Acrobat, deleted the folder, then restarted Acrobat, and then the problem was fixed...it created the Organizer90 file automatically. Another route may be to right-click in the 9.0 folder and "Create new text file", name it Organizer90.txt, then remove the .txt extension (so you now have a blank file with nothing in it and when you start Acrobat, maybe it'll pick it up and create the proper Organizer Database.

Hope this helps you. --Mikeaw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2008 Dec 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikeaw's suggestion helped solve my problem, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2008 Dec 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both methods: created the folder....started acrobat, got the error. Closed acrobat, restarted, got the error again. Deleted the folder. Opened another file, closed it and got the same error.

Also tried with the file method: created the file and removed the txt extension. Repeated the above procedure with different files. No change. The problem is still there.

System:
Vista Ultimate SP1
Intel Core 2 Extreme
4GB Memory - 250GB Hard Drive
Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2008 Dec 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that Mikeaw's solution, only partially fixed my problem, It still happens sometimes. It looks like on the files that were created when I still had the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it also, and am still having the same problem. Is this a bug in acrobat? Is there anyone from Adobe out there that can help with this problem. Its very annoying.
-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2008 Dec 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikeaw here... I've continued to get the problem as well. The fix I posted appears to only be temporary. It appears that when I open Organizer (from the File menu) it creates the file, but complains that it's damaged and deletes it, the won't create a good version again and complains again that it's damaged.

I've fixed it temporarily again by using Edit | Preferences | Documents to change the setting "Remember files in Organizer History for:" to the setting "Don't remember PDFs". This may prove to be temporary as well, but I really don't ever want to use the Organizer anyway.

--Mikeaw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2009 Jan 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well. It's really annoying, since you have to dismiss the dialog every time you close acrobat.

The fix was temporary--not for very long. The better fix appears to be using Edit | Preferences | Documents to change the setting "Remember files in Organizer History for:" to the setting "Don't remember PDFs".

At least so far, the annoying message went away, but I may have just given up a feature. (Not really using the organizer yet to my knowledge--I use Bridge anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "Don't Remember PDF's" worked for interactive use of Acrobat but trying to run it through OLE Automation I get the error message when the code attempts to save the file. I am using Vista Ultimate with Acrobat 9.0 Std.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error message keeps coming back AND IS VERY ANNOYING (because it comes up every time you try to close an Acrobat window). I hope it's fixed soon, or I may uninstall Acrobat in favor of one of the alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2009 Jul 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ammended my post from Dec 2008 in the Adobe User Community Forums (AcrobatUsers.com):

In case it helps someone this is how I solved it (it has been working for me great) for the time being until Adobe comes up with a solution:

In order to do this open Acrobat:

1.   Go to Edit-Preferences.
2.   In the Categories Column (on the left) select and highlight Documents.
3.   In the section “Open Settings” go to where it says: “Remember files in Organizer History for:”
4.   Select: “Don’t Remember PDFs”.
5.   Click on OK below.
6.   Close Acrobat.
7.   Close all open windows of Internet Explorer and Outlook that might be viewing an html email (just close all other open windows)...
8.   Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0 (make sure you have enabled Vista to "show hidden files and folders".
9.   Under the 9.0 folder, create a new file called Organizer90 (not a folder - a NEW text file without any extension) and make this new file "Read Only".
10. Organizer should not bother you anymore but you cannot use it anymore either (bummer)...

Hope this helps...

It’s a shame that we cannot use the Organizer anymore but at least you won’t have to deal with the annoying error screen constantly popping up and interrupting your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello everyone!

I think I just fixed the problem in Acrobat 9.  I have the pro version and vista business 64bit.

I navigated to C:\Users\[YOUR NAME HERE]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0

I noticed that there was no organizer file or folder inside that folder.  However, I noticed that the two files, Usercache.bin and SharedDataevents were updated at the same time that my acrobat had reported the Organizer database error.

So, in an attempt to logically discern where the problem was coming from, I decided to drag these files to my desktop.  My understanding was that when Acrobat looked for and attempted to access these files, they would not be found.  Additionally, by saving the files, I could (theoretically) easily return them to their proper location if some horrible error occured.

As I theorized, these two files were recreated upon opening Acrobat.  Since I deleted (moved) the files and Acrobat rebuilt them I have not had any trouble.

I believe that what Acrobat does is APPEND the files if they are found in the folder, and if they are not found, it recreates them from a standard template.  I believe the UserCache file probably has the acrobat preferences inside, including the various standard fonts and icc profiles used for printing preferences.

(ICC profiles are pretty neato IMHO and very useful for ensuring WYSIWYG document viewing and printing on various different monitors and printers.  Very good for prepress color constantcy and for reducing the "delta E" of your printshop.) 

Anyhoo, because I don't ever use the organizer feature in acrobat, I am unaware of whether the recreation of these files deletes any info with regards to the organizer.  Perhaps special features are reset, but I don't know.  Perhaps someone who uses this feature will report their findings.

The important thing for me is that the VERY annoying message IS gone.

I will be sure to update this link ASAP if the problem reoccurs. I usually create 40-100 pdf files per day for work from web and print sources, so if it reoccurs I imagine it will do so fairly soon.

Hopefully this will help those with Acrobat 9.0 standard as well.

I would do the same thing for Mac using the location given earlier in the thread.  Just move the files or put them on a flash drive so you can restore them if things go south.  If I remember from my Mac days, the OS is pretty user friendly and the fix may be easier than the one for Vista.

Good luck, all and happy Acrobatting!

Syn71  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines