Password has stopped working

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

password has stopped working.

Cannot open password protected file even though I have correct password. Get message to check that caps lock is not on.    I see another poster had this exact same problem..   I created a file earlier today, password protected the file, tested the password to ensure it would open (it did),  and forwarded the password protected file to a client.   I tried to open the file this evening to review the file contents before forwarding the same file to legal counsel, and the password no longer works.  

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcie

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As mentioned, you have created a PDF file, password protected the file, tested the password to ensure it would open (it did), and forwarded the password protected file to a client and now when you are trying to open the file to review the file contents the password no longer works. 

Please make sure that you are using the correct password to open the PDF file. Generally it is recommended to make a note or copy and save the password to avoid any mistake when you try to open the file using the password next time.

Also, have you shared the document password with the client to open the PDF file or have you shared the permission password with the client? If you have shared the permission password with the client, he may use it to open the pdf and to remove or change the document password to open the PDF. For more information please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/securing-pdfs-passwords.html#add_password_security

There isn't much that we can do in this case. You may consider creating a new PDF from the original source file and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines