• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Password problem

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Acrobat suite a few weeks ago and now the PDF's I had saved in a previous version of Acrobat are password protected, which I never set up passwords for. Now I can't edit the PDF's because I don't know the password. PDF's are saved on my local machine. What caused this problem and how do I fix it? I never had to provide a password, or saved any of these PDF's, with a password in the past.

Jeff

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't happen by itself. Are you saying you were able to edit these files in the past and now you can't do it without a password? Or did you just view them before and now you want to edit them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I was able to edit these PDF's when I was using Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. Now I get a password challenge box when I want to edit the form in Adobe Acrobat DC. There are some PDF's that don't have this restriction and I can enter data in the fields with no problem. There are a few that I can add my signature to but can't input a date in the date field. Very strange behavior. 

The forms are employee evaluation forms that the company has been using for years, and this is the first time I've had issues with them.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone applied a security policy to this file. If it wasn't you then it was someone else with access to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are many files like this that did not have security assigned to them prior to upgrading to Adobe Acrobat DC. While you state that someone applied a security policy I can assure you that no one did. I certainly did not apply any and the sample I sent you was an original file I created with no security. Apparently Adobe Acrobat DC "thinks" there's security applied. Is it possible I have a corrupted copy of Adobe Acrobat DC?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC is not "thinking" there is security set. It really is set. So you need to look into what has happened. What I believe happened is this: at the end of last year's form filling, in October, the form was signed. This locked it forever. You cannot fill it, and you could never edit it.

You need to go back to the blank form before it was signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response. 

Several questions here. Some of the forms still let me edit, some do not. The sample form I sent has 3 seperate areas for signatures. I'm assuming that Acrobat 9 didn't automatically lock the form once it was signed, but Acrobat DC does. 

Since the same form is used for 3 separate evaluation events during a one year period, how do I prevent the form from being automatically locked after it's been signed?

Again, I never performed an overt action to assign secuurity to these documents, so I'm really at a loss to figure out how that happened. The only thing that changed was the upgrade to Acrobat DC.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines