Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Password protection

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !

I don't understand because I downloaded Adobe Acrobat DC, I did the procedure as mentioned on the help of the plateform and a notification appears to tell me to download Adobe Acrobat DC...

All I want to do with Adobe Acrobat DC is to protect my documents with a password so people can't edit them.

Could someone help me please ?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you use Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd,

I use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and I had to download Creative Cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't protect files.

Install Adobe Acrobat and use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did but it downloads Acrobat DC, which opens Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC is Adobe Acrobat. DC is only the version of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so why isn't it working you think ? Why do I need to download Creative cloud ...

And what is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC ? Is it adobe acrobate reader or adobe acrobat DC ? Or none ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat DC is part of the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks a lot. So "adobe acrobat reader DC" is the right installation ? It is the main one ?

Because if yes i don't understand why it asks me the last complete version...

The problem is that once I click on "Protect using Password", it asks me if I downloaded the correct version of Acrobat...
I took a screenshot that you can see below so you can see the notification I get. It is in french, sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You must use Adobe Acrobat DC (first column in your image) ! Acrobat Reader DC (second column in your image) can't protect files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am trying to install it, but I can't !! It only downloads me "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" and "Creative Cloud".
I even deleted "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" and reinstalled it and still it downloads me the reader one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud app install and open Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but then when I installed it, where do I go to open it ?

Because it doesn't appear on my search engine of Finder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can open it in the creative cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tessa

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want to password protect the PDF files so people can not edit them.

You can limit access to a PDF by setting passwords and by restricting certain features, such as printing and editing. However, you cannot prevent saving copies of a PDF. The copies have the same restrictions as the original PDF. Two types of passwords are available:

Document open password: A Document Open password (also known as a user password) requires a user to type a password to open the PDF.

Permissions password

A permissions password (also known as a master password) requires a password to change permission settings. Using a permissions password, you can restrict printing, editing, and copying content in the PDF. Recipients don't need a password to open the document in Reader or Acrobat. They do need a password to change the restrictions you've set.

If the PDF is secured with both types of passwords, it can be opened with either password. However, only the permissions password allows the user to change the restricted features. Because of the added security, setting both types of passwords is often beneficial.

For information about protecting PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC please check out the steps suggested in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/securing-pdfs-passwords.html

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal for your detailed answer.

Actually i already followed the steps and the problem is that once I click on "Protect using Password", it asks me if I downloaded the correct verson of Acrobat...
I took a screenshot that you can see below, it is in french.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Regards,

Tessa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually have to post the PDF for some of my readers (those who have subscribed to my blog). Usually, what I Do is protect my PDF and e-mail the passwords to my subscribers of my blog. This way, the built-in password manager of PDF let me easily protect my PDF file. You can visit all of these here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines