• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting text into Title field of document properties

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to add a title to a PDF document I've created, in the Document Properties dialog (File: Properties: Description tab: Title field). I'm using Acrobat DC, the latest version, on a Windows 10 PC .

The document itself has been prepared in Word 365 (latest version) and printed from there to PDF using the File: Save As Adobe PDF option.

In the past, I've always added the title by:

1. selecting the text in the PDF which I wish to use as the title (Let's say "Results of water quality sampling, John Doe Reservoir, WA; January 2021"),

2. pressing Ctrl+C or right-click: Copy,

3. opening the Document Properties dialog, and Ctrl-V or right-click: Paste into the Title field on the Description tab of the dialog.

This doesn't work any more. I know that the text has been copied to the Windows Clipboard, because I can paste it into another application, such as Notepad or Word. But nothing will paste into the Title field, where I want it to go.

If instead, I copy / paste the text into Notepad, select / copy the text again there, and *then* paste into the Title field in the PDF document, then it will paste correctly. But nothing works to paste directly from the PDF itself into the Title field.

The document is exactly as created from Word, it has not been security protected or anything.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Robin

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Yes, and I can confirm that I have just tried the same; now working. Latest version of Acrobat DC on Windows 10. I must assume that the most recent update occurred after I last checked, rather than before.

Fingers crossed it stays working!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... I should add that it's Acrobat Pro DC I'm using...

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact it works when you do a "round-trip" via Notepad suggests to me that there are some extra characters in the copied text that can't be applied to the Title field, and which are removed when you paste it into Notepad. Maybe an errant line-break, or even something like a non-breaking space. Can you share the file in question with us, and mark the text you're trying to copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your reply. I've made a cut-down version of the first page of the document, which still exhibits the problem. The text I wish to copy is "North Whiteley, Bridge 1; WQ sampling (January 21st 2021)".

The brackets and superscript characters seemed the most likely to break the copy/paste process, perhaps. But, even if I copy only a single character (say, the 'i' from "Bridge"), the paste still fails - unless I go via Notepad first.

So, perhaps it's the bold formatting applied to the line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but no, I've just created another version with non-bold text; exactly the same result.
R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it in Acrobat XI and it worked fine. Could be a bug in Acrobat DC, then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise in Acrobat 9 Standard 😞 OK, many thanks for your input, anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on this; I've since reported it directly to Adobe, who have confirmed that it's a bug in Acrobat DC which will (I presume) be addressed in a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, very helpful post and follow-up. Saved my sanity.

Have been using the same process via Notepad as workaround, but it's a maddening inefficiency. Figured no way, it couldn't possibly be a bug. But alas, it is a bug and there's apparently still no copy/paste directly from PDF document into file properties / metadata patch.

Sigh.

Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, by chance I noticed myself the other day that it's still not working. Fingers crossed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, agreed! Or maybe in the next release it can be a new feature! 🙂 Lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine for me.

Acrobat Pro DC up to date on Windows 10 up to date.

Capture_232.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and I can confirm that I have just tried the same; now working. Latest version of Acrobat DC on Windows 10. I must assume that the most recent update occurred after I last checked, rather than before.

Fingers crossed it stays working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you all were able to get it working! I'm also current for updates on OS and Acrobat DC, even ran "Repair Installation" in Acrobat DC, just to make sure, and it's still not working for me. I have to click "Additional Metadata" and use that dialog.
Test file:

Tripp5E6D_1-1636550953784.png

Adobe File Properties Dialog, no copy/paste into Title field.

Tripp5E6D_2-1636551109022.png

Click Additional Metadata, bring up second dialog, copy/paste works in Title field.

Tripp5E6D_0-1636550894078.png

Beyond frustrating, but it's a workaround. Have spent too much time something that should be simple and a non-issue, so I'm out.
Thanks again for your original post to confirm it's a bug. Again, very helpful to know, and glad it works for you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noted that the OP said the text was copied from the PDF. When I tried that, my Acrobat did not work either. 

As @michelleh93074308 stated, if you switch to Edit PDF mode and copied the text, it worked. I haven't tracked it down, but I suspect a preference setting. 

Another option is to add the title in Word in the Info section.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was resolved by unchecking the "Enable Protected Mode at startup (Preview)" box under preferences/security enhanced. Also, be sure the "make hand tool select text & images" box is checked under preferences/general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eureka! Merits, accolades, and commendations for you! Unchecking "Enable Protected Mode..." worked for me. I no longer have to use the "Additional Metadata" workaround. Seriously, nice obscure find, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the additional "metadata" trick,one can also select edit from the tools menu and then you are able to select, copy and paste text.  I know this seems just like an extra click, but when you do this hundreds of times in a week it adds up and is frustrating.  Hopefully, Adobe will fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing all this information, as at least I know I'm not going crazy. I have been creating interactive PDF forms for several days. My form field information is in an Excel workbook, and until yesterday 12/31/2021, I've been able to click once on a cell in Excel, Ctr+C, Open the Properties window for the Field in Acrobat, click in the place I want it, and Ctr+V to paste it, and it worked just fine. Now when I paste, the existing value in the Properties window simply disappears.

I tried everything, thinking it was operator error, 🙂 Finally I tried HIGHLIGHTING the value in the Excel cell, and that worked. I'm sharing this thinking someone at Adobe might want to check it out. I can copy and paste "the old way" into Word and in a browser, just not into Adobe.

Just sharing,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines