• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasword restrict PDF forms instead of using DRM

Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To begin, I have several javascript enhanced interactive PDF forms designed/developed in Adobe Acrobat Pro some years ago that I have since updated using Acrobat Pro 2017. Presently, I want to be able to provide sample unlicensed functional copies of each of my PDF forms to allow prospective customers to download and try b4 they buy using the Free Adobe Reader or Acrobat without my having to purchase DRM software as it is much too expensive and cost-prohibitive for my needs. As an alternative approach, I decided to password restrict the PDF to filling in form fields and using other menu features thereby permitting the user to explore and experiment with the features the form has to offer. To prevent continued unauthorized use, I elected to add a javascript function that works to prevent the form from being opened/used after a predetermined number of days based upon the date. While I realize it may be possible for a user to find a PDF password remover utility to remove the password restriction, they would still have to be well versed in using Adobe Acrobat for designing/developing interactive PDF forms as well as adept in using properties, methods, and javascript in which event one would then simply deactivate javascript under preferences to scrutinize the PDF document in an attempt to find the function that needed to be disabled/removed to prevent the PDF form from eventually closing on the predetermined date. As I am inclined to believe a low percentile of those interested in using the form would have the knowledge and expertise to accomplish such a task to begin with, do you think this is something I need to worry about given the few who may be able to circumvent the security method I have proposed herein? Thank you ahead of time.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right that a large majority of people will not know how to overcome such limitations (although the JavaScript one is quite easy to overcome, and in fact might not work at all if the file is opened in an application that doesn't have good JS support). However, it's enough that one person overcomes it and then distributes an unprotected version of the file to put all of your efforts to waste. If that's a risk you're willing to take, go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure (as a comment) that any DRM system would support fillable forms. That's not the usual market. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines