Highlighted

PDF changed original fonts and hyperlinks don't work

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using MacBook Pro and have Microsoft Word 2016 and Adobe Acrobat 2015 version installed.

Objective: to convert microsoft word file to pdf document with all internal links (table of contents, cross reference links, etc) working.

What I've done:

First try: converted the document to pdf using 'Save As' option straight from Ms. Word, chose 'best for online viewing' to retain all the links. What happened was, the links were all working but all original fonts are gone and replaced with some sort of generic font throughout the document

Second try: tried to create pdf using Adobe Acrobat, it automatically converts the word document into pdf but later found out that all the links were not working at all.

I need to know how to convert a word document into pdf without losing the hyperlinks/internal links and original font. Not sure why Ms. Word just decided to change all of my fonts....

Help...

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Macintosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF changed original fonts and hyperlinks don't work

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using MacBook Pro and have Microsoft Word 2016 and Adobe Acrobat 2015 version installed.

Objective: to convert microsoft word file to pdf document with all internal links (table of contents, cross reference links, etc) working.

What I've done:

First try: converted the document to pdf using 'Save As' option straight from Ms. Word, chose 'best for online viewing' to retain all the links. What happened was, the links were all working but all original fonts are gone and replaced with some sort of generic font throughout the document

Second try: tried to create pdf using Adobe Acrobat, it automatically converts the word document into pdf but later found out that all the links were not working at all.

I need to know how to convert a word document into pdf without losing the hyperlinks/internal links and original font. Not sure why Ms. Word just decided to change all of my fonts....

Help...

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Macintosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 03, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi krystelh53602876,

Please click on Acrobat ribbon in Microsoft word application and select preferences.

Then check box for Add links under Security tab.

Now try to convert word file to PDF using Create PDF option under Acrobat ribbon.

Let us know if issue still persists.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Unfortunately, when I click on Acrobat ribbon in Microsoft word application, it only shows Create PDF option and nothing else. Is this an issue with Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac?

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2017 2
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi krystelh53602876,

Could you please share the screenshot of the options you get when you click on Acrobat Ribbon.

Please also let us know the exact dot version of Adobe Acrobat and OS installed on your system.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyperlinks aren't preserved in the Mac version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on my Mac (using Word for Mac 2016).  I was using only Mac-installed fonts, and anything besides Arial was replaced by something else.  Since I wanted to keep hyperlinks, we couldn't use the File > Print (or the Save As Adobe Acrobat) option.

It took me a long time and some persistence, but I finally got help on the issue from a very helpful Adobe support person, @Ankur Sharma.  He was able to reproduce the problem and lodged it as a bug (ADC-4212190).

While we were looking at other options, I found out that the Save As Adobe Acrobat option uses Distiller, which on the PC version can preserve hyperlinks, bookmarks, etc., but not on the Mac.  So we also put in a feature request (ADC-4210906) to add this functionality to the Mac version too.  Obviously, the more people they hear from who express an interest, the more likely it is Adobe will act on it, so please, Mac users, let Adobe know we want this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2017 4
New Here ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the hyperlink issue, if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC you can use that app as a work-around for the broken hyperlink export from Word.

1. Select File > Create > PDF from File.
  2. Then select the word doc.
  3. The pdf created will have clickable hyperlinks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat Pro DC, but the problem with using that approach or the Word plugin is that our installed fonts are replaced by substituted ones.  That, as it turns out is a bug, which supposedly is getting looked at.  But we've had some other issues with that approach, such as Noteref fields being treated like new footnotes (which screws up the footnote symbol sequencing).

The best solution for us would be if Adobe added the ability to keep bookmarks and hyperlinks in the Mac version of Distiller -- just as the PC version does -- but since that's a feature request, we need other Mac users to show an interest.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017 3
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on a couple of different word files and got the following error.

Acrobat could not open 'Becca Letter.docx' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. Then print the document to Adobe PDF.

Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this just uploads the word file into the cloud (why?!) and then the hyperlinks in the online created PDF (data breach!) still don't work

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to still be an issue a year later... you have to either pick having fonts download OR hyperlinks - they don't work together. When will this be fixed or are there any workarounds?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not without significant changes in the architecture of Microsoft Office for Mac…

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming they still have not made those changes. Has it improved at all in Office 365?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0